RM images available for sale elsewhere?

Patrick Cooper

Question

With Rights Managed images, I'm on the assumption that they cannot be made available on other stock agencies as RF. I guess they may possibly be allowed to be sold as RM on other stock sites with Alamy's consent.

Though what about Print On Demand sites? Can an image be RM on Alamy and also be made available for sale on POD sites? And if that is allowed, would you have to remove any exclusive status for that image on Alamy? To be honest, I'm not sure if exclusivity only refers to stock agencies or if it covers all selling platforms like POD sites etc.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

5 answers to this question

You're correct. If you have RM images on Alamy, you can't offer those same images as RF through other agencies. However, you can submit your images as RM to additional agencies as long as you haven't marked them as "exclusive" here. Alamy's notion of exclusivity does not extend to POD sites or to your own website. You're free to sell your images there. Hope this helps.

Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

John, thank you. So just to clarify, I can offer an image for sale here as RM and also make it available for sale on POD sites at the same time? There are individuals on a microstock forum who reckon that this is not the case. 

Yes, you can make both your RM and RF images available through Alamy and POD sites at the same time. A lot of mine are on FAA.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Ah thanks again. Yea sure I knew there would be no issues with RF images made available for sale elsewhere (I also sell prints of mine at a market.) I was under the impression that RM images had more restrictions.

Nope. Same rules apply to both RF and RM. There's some info on this page.