Presets gone on LR6

Bryan

Question

I have a love hate relationship with LR and at the moment there is not much love.

I added a TIFF file to my catalogue, normally I just use raw files, or the occasional JPG, and now  I cannot access my presets with newly uploaded raw files. Just possibly the TIFF has nothing to do with it, I may have pressed a wrong button combination, who knows?   I've searched online for a solution but can't find one that I can understand, or that applies to my ancient standalone version 6.14.

I've nothing checked in the Preferences Presets window, and have not changed anything there. May have agreed to a catalogue update after the TIFF, can't be sure.

Edit -  If I look into Metadata, Edit Metadata Presets they are all still there, but I'm not able to access them via the right hand panels.

Any ideas?

Edited by Bryan

5 answers to this question

I'm nowhere near offering a solution off the top of my head but I do use 6.14 so just to make sure I understand the problem...

These are your Metadata Presets?

They are no longer listed in the Presets dropdown - or they are listed but you can't select them?

However if you go ot 'Edit presets' in that dropdown then you can access and edit them?

If you are on Windows then they exist as .lrtemplate files in C:/Users/Your Name/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/Metadata Presets/

The fact that you can edit them suggests that they must still be there though.

Does sound weird. Maybe you could try creating a new one just to see what happens.

Thanks Harry. Where are you finding a Presets drop-down, I don't appear to have that option ? Normally they appear in the right hand window of the Library module, but not any more. I guess I could try to create a new preset, wouldn't hurt.

Bryan, I'm looking at the 'Metadata' panel on the right-hand side, so from the top there's Histogram, Quick Develop, Keywording, Keywording List, Metadata, Comments. Any of these can be switched off & on by right-clicking/cntrl-clicking on the area to the left of the name in any of the remaining ones (because clicking on the name simply opens and closes the panel). Not sure if that's what you mean though.

Edit: 

Also, whilst pottering about in LR I discovered that there is an easier way to get to your actual presets folders from Lightroom > Preferences > Presets > Show Lightroom Presets Folder. Not that you probably ever need to go there.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Thanks for your help Harry, I needed to both click on an image and select the Metadata drop down menu, when the Preset drop down menu re-appeared. Perhaps it never went away, I blame my advancing years!

12 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I needed to both click on an image and select the Metadata drop down menu, when the Preset drop down menu re-appeared. Perhaps it never went away, I blame my advancing years!

Glad it sorted itself out, not sure I had anything to do with it though. I knew that those panels could disappear but I couldn't remember how to restore them so I had to refresh my memory and in doing so learnt a few things along the way for myself. I sometimes use the Quick Develop panel in the Library view to play about with exposure generally but I never knew that there were more options available if you open the panel. I also found out a few single key shortcuts that looked handy but I seem to have forgotten them already. 

Edited by Harry Harrison