Phone help please

Bryan

Question

Apologies not much to do with photography, but I suspect that there are loads of people here who know how to to use a smart phone, and I haven't a clue.

When I recently tried to log onto a free WiFi source (on a bus) with my new (last year's model) Huawei phone I got the message "scan the bar code", but the bar code was showing on the phone!  There were no bar codes visible anywhere on the bus.  I've used bus WiFi in the past with my steam age phone without any problems, from memory it just asked for my email address, but this new phone is too clever by half.

Do I need to change something in the phone's settings to avoid this or are there more deviant procedures to follow?

I should add that I have managed to use the phone with my home WiFi, it just asked for the password from the modem.

3 answers to this question

Bar Code, or QR code?

There may be a QR code somewhere on the bus which can be scanned to connect to the WiFi.

If I want to connect my smartphone to my Sony Camera's built in WiFi I can do it by scanning a QR code showing on the camera display.

Thanks Mick. Now you mention it, I realise that it's not a bar code, rather a square  thing. But the code is showing on the screen of the phone, nothing to be seen in the bus, as far as I am aware.

Edited by Bryan

Latest on this I've contacted the bus company using live chat and the first response has been that they have not previously encountered the problem, but they have passed on my query to the technical team.