File requirements

Marta38

Question

Hello,

I am Marta from the Netherlands and a new member of Alamy. I have some confusion about the file requirements. 

Somewhere down the road I read that it needs to be a JPG and of a size of 17MB or higher. Even a TIFF format of 62,9 MB comes out 8 MB as a JPG. So it looks like I am missing something?

Is it that the original photograph (RAW to TIFF) needs to be higher than 17 MB or is it the JPG? Please help me out, I have been looking at it for hours after my first submissions didn't pass QC due to the image file size (blowing up the JPG that I really don't like to be blowing up, showing interpolation artefacts and softness, while the image is crisp sharp in TIFF). Hope someone can clear the sky for me?

Best, Marta

3 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Marta38 said:

Hello,

I am Marta from the Netherlands and a new member of Alamy. I have some confusion about the file requirements. 

Somewhere down the road I read that it needs to be a JPG and of a size of 17MB or higher. Even a TIFF format of 62,9 MB comes out 8 MB as a JPG. So it looks like I am missing something?

Is it that the original photograph (RAW to TIFF) needs to be higher than 17 MB or is it the JPG? Please help me out, I have been looking at it for hours after my first submissions didn't pass QC due to the image file size (blowing up the JPG that I really don't like to be blowing up, showing interpolation artefacts and softness, while the image is crisp sharp in TIFF). Hope someone can clear the sky for me?

Best, Marta

17MB is the minimum uncompressed 8 bit image size required by Alamy. This means the uncompressed image must contain at least 17 MegaBytes (=17,825,792 bytes) of 8 bit image data. Since each pixel is stored using 3 bytes of data (1 byte each for Red, Green and Blue channels) the minimum number of pixels required by Alamy equates to 17,825,792/3 = 5,941,930 pixels

So, as a useful guide, just make sure your image contains at least 6 million pixels, and you'll be OK, e.g. a 3000 x 2000 image is fine. 

When you save the image in a jpg format file the image data is compressed to save disk space, so you will see the file size will be considerably smaller, but that's OK.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman