Pictures used without payment

MaxF

Question

Hi everybody, 

I have a question.

I was playing with google images to see if I can found some pictures, and with my big surprise I found one picture used and bought from The guardian in 2016 in one article cloned in many other website around the globe.

Every article mentioned the source "The Guardian" & "Alamy" but they still use the image for free... or the image is connected with the article and they can use it?

is already passed 4 years!!! 

any suggestion?

The Guardian Original

JeremyHance  the journalist

climateinfo.org

Australia

MakeMeFeed

Job one

thanks 

Max

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, MaxF said:

Hi everybody, 

I have a question.

I was playing with google images to see if I can found some pictures, and with my big surprise I found one picture used and bought from The guardian in 2016 in one article cloned in many other website around the globe.

Every article mentioned the source "The Guardian" & "Alamy" but they still use the image for free... or the image is connected with the article and they can use it?

is already passed 4 years!!! 

any suggestion?

The Guardian Original

JeremyHance  the journalist

climateinfo.org

Australia

MakeMeFeed

Job one

thanks 

Max

Fabulous image - the secondary usages you show seem to be on the personal website of the Journalist who wrote the Guardian article and "News Scraper" and "Blogging" sites. The journalist should (potentially) know better, but has simply referenced the image URL on the Guardian's server, so hasn't technically created a new copy of the image.

I also note you have the same image for sale on one of the popular micro-stock sites making sales tracking/tracing more difficult and potentially devaluing the image. Given the uses by bloggers and news scrapers and the low fees on microstock sites this may not worth pursuing. But it might be worth alerting Alamy (using link at foot of your Alamy dashboard page) about the use by the Journalist as that is potentially outside the terms of the original licence purchased by the Guardian (check this first in your Alamy sales report to see the licence details!!).

Others may have other views.

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman

5 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Fabulous image - the secondary usages you show seem to be on the personal website of the Journalist who wrote the Guardian article and "News Scraper" and "Blogging" sites. The journalist should (potentially) know better, but has simply referenced the image URL on the Guardian's server, so hasn't technically created a new copy of the image.

I also note you have the same image for sale on one of the popular micro-stock sites making sales tracking/tracing more difficult and potentially devaluing the image. Given the uses by bloggers and news scrapers and the low fees on microstock sites this may not worth pursuing. But it might be worth alerting Alamy (using link at foot of your Alamy dashboard page) about the use by the Journalist as that is potentially outside the terms of the original licence purchased by the Guardian (check this first in your Alamy sales report to see the licence details!!).

Others may have other views.

Mark 

Thanks Mark for your reply and for the compliment on the photo, the photo after selling it on alamy (which was my only agency) I decided to open on the microstock to use the image more time (and that made me sell the same photos 10 more times at high price and I have found the trace ...lucky!).
I will try to follow your suggestion.

Do you use any system or web site to check where you images going?

5 hours ago, Pakodominguez said:

are you happy with them? I mean, how many times do you use their service? did you got paid at every claim?

I've only recently started using CopyTrack, so I've only used the searching part of the service which has already helped me to locate where some Alamy sales have been used and then I can add to my DACs claim. I've not tried the infringement service yet as they've not yet found an infringement that I believe is worth chasing, but it's early days (they haven't processed all my images yet). But I've been very pleased with their free searching facility (which is why I mentioned them following the OP's question - do you use any system to check where images are going?).

I find CopyTrack beats Pixsy's free searching service (which is difficult to use and the latest web-interface is so full of bugs it's unusable IMHO). However I have used Pixsy to progress one claim successfully and got a decent settlement. But the other 4 claims I submitted to Pixsy were rejected as not being commercially viable.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I tryed the web site.. and thanks Mark for the tips.. is great! I found many images!
And one without licence to use!

but not all images I found with google images or Yandex... example the whale shark I mentioned before (the JeremyHance).
but also, when you sell the pictures many times is hard understand who have the right to use.. 🤔 🤔 🤔

Max

4 hours ago, MaxF said:

but not all images I found with google images or Yandex...

You may need to be patient. Copytrack is still (slowly) finding matches for my images 1 month after I uploaded them. Personally I think it's better that way, as it avoids being overwhelmed with 1,000s of matches on one go. I uploaded 250 images a month ago and they have located 804 matches so far.

Mark

18 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I've only recently started using CopyTrack, so I've only used the searching part of the service which has already helped me to locate where some Alamy sales have been used and then I can add to my DACs claim. I've not tried the infringement service yet as they've not yet found an infringement that I believe is worth chasing, but it's early days (they haven't processed all my images yet). But I've been very pleased with their free searching facility (which is why I mentioned them following the OP's question - do you use any system to check where images are going?).

I find CopyTrack beats Pixsy's free searching service (which is difficult to use and the latest web-interface is so full of bugs it's unusable IMHO). However I have used Pixsy to progress one claim successfully and got a decent settlement. But the other 4 claims I submitted to Pixsy were rejected as not being commercially viable.

Mark

Thanks,

I'm trying CopyTrack now with an image that was lifted (so Alamy con not claim payment), lets see if it works. 

I use Pixsy for my mage checks and have just recieved a settlement from them for an infrigement by a major US media outlet who thought it was OK to use my images from Twitter!

Can be slow in the mitigation process but very quick at spotting infringements