Question

Hi. I'm wondering if any of you can id this tree and the lichen growing on it?

I took the shot on a cloudy day this past Sunday on my way home from opening our family cottage near the beach in Connecticut. It is growing by the backwaters, a tidal salt marsh fed by the Long Island Sound close to where it meets the Atlantic Ocean, just off the coast of Rhode Island. (We used to "surf" on a friend's canoe where the waters would get rough when I was a kid - a bunch of us balanced on the benches, winner was the last one standing).

Anyway, I think it could be a fruit tree of some sort - the leaves are barely sprouting. If you can ID the lichen, but need to see the leaves, I can take a look later this summer (in a month or so when I'm back- late May or early June) and see what the leaves and buds look like and post a new photo. I loved the gnarled bark and lichen so it would be great to id them. I'm reprocessing the photo because I realized my last pass with chromatic aberration reduction made a mess leaving a border around the branches that I missed. 

Anyway, here's the link - if you need to download a large size image, lmk. I'll set it up and leave the password here. I think you can see enough online with the full size image at PS.

Public Link

It's a Tiff so it takes a few seconds to load. If it's too slow, I'll upload a jpeg. 

Thanks much!pixel.gif

Edited by Marianne
First link was internal

4 answers to this question

Hi Marianne,

without seeing the leaves of the tree close up its difficult to know what it is.   Again, same with the lichen.  It could be someth8ng like a common greenshield lichen but there are so many species.  Plus I’m UK based so may be wrong.  Try googling lichen.

sorry not to be of more help!

Sas

Greetings Marianne,

I also have to search for underwater "critters" identification and have several ID sites bookmarked.  I have less that ten images of lichen - macro images dating back a few decades and have never needed to ID them.  I did a search for a lichen ID site and found this place called Lichens USGA  There were several sites, this one being the first I opened.  It seems a bit tedious to search but it does appear to  have quite a detailed database with close-up  and macro images.

There were several other ID sites - some in specific regions of the US.

Good luck,

Gary

• Love 1

On 02/05/2019 at 13:09, Sas said:

Hi Marianne,

without seeing the leaves of the tree close up its difficult to know what it is.   Again, same with the lichen.  It could be someth8ng like a common greenshield lichen but there are so many species.  Plus I’m UK based so may be wrong.  Try googling lichen.

sorry not to be of more help!

Sas

I meant to get photos of the leaves when I was back there a week and a half ago but forgot. Hopefully I can id it from that.

Edited by Marianne

On 03/05/2019 at 16:53, Schim said:

Greetings Marianne,

I also have to search for underwater "critters" identification and have several ID sites bookmarked.  I have less that ten images of lichen - macro images dating back a few decades and have never needed to ID them.  I did a search for a lichen ID site and found this place called Lichens USGA  There were several sites, this one being the first I opened.  It seems a bit tedious to search but it does appear to  have quite a detailed database with close-up  and macro images.

There were several other ID sites - some in specific regions of the US.

Good luck,

Gary

Thanks for the sites Gary. I was googling a lot and think it might be greenshield too.