Screen brightness and printing

On 31/08/2019 at 15:47, Steve F said:

Hi everyone,

I'm back! Thanks a lot for the tips and advice. I do have a calibrated monitor. I got hold of a printer profile from my lab and got a lot of prints done after seeing some proofs they did for me first. It actually turns out, the hardest thing is selling your prints!!! haha. I'm trying to sell them as a finished article that can be hung on a wall, but frames more than double the price of the prints so....

I've printed some on canvas (they tack the canvas onto a wooden frame with corner tensioners like a painter's canvas). They're pretty robust, and have come out pretty well, but I'm not totally happy about the quality. The colours seem somewhat subdued. Maybe this is a result of printing on canvas? I haven't tried sending the printing lab an oversaturated JPEG yet to compensate.....

I've also had some printed onto Dibond (a thin plastic layer with a thin aluminium sheet front and back) with archival quality photo paper on one face and an aluminium hanger on the back. Quality is great - because it's photo paper - but they're also quite fragile because you end up with a large sheet of photo paper out in the atmosphere with no glass in front.

I've thought about getting a laminated type print, which looks really great, but costs £150+

Anyway, that's my experience so far. Being an artist is just as hard work as being a photographer!

There are various options for canvas or canvas effects from inkjet on real artist's canvas to various canvas effect photo papers. The photo paper ones may give better image quality. 

You should get the dibonds sealed. 

Check out One Vision Imaging for examples of different canvases and dibond options. 

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 09:22, MDM said:

There are various options for canvas or canvas effects from inkjet on real artist's canvas to various canvas effect photo papers. The photo paper ones may give better image quality. 

You should get the dibonds sealed. 

Check out One Vision Imaging for examples of different canvases and dibond options. 

I am worried about the dibond prints getting damaged, because they're so fragile. Maybe I should look for a new supplier. Or bite the bullet and double the price of my prints (yikes!!) I'll have a look at One Vision Imaging though, thanks