Isolated against white background?

Over on a microstock forum, someone was discussing the supposedly 'correct' way of using the word 'isolated' as a keyword in relation to images of subjects against white backgrounds. According to this guy, you should only use 'isolated' when your subject appears to be almost floating against the white background (ie when there are no shadows cast on the background.) Like your subject has been cut out and placed against the white digitally. And conversely, if there are shadows appearing on the white background from the subject, 'isolated' as a keyword would be inappropriate. Do many people agree with this? I figured it would be down to the individual's own interpretation. After all, the word 'isolated' can have slightly different meanings in photography. For example, a photography book I read makes use of the word 'isolated' when describing a photograph with shallow depth of field. In this case, the main subject is isolated against the out of focus background. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Over on a microstock forum, someone was discussing the supposedly 'correct' way of using the word 'isolated' as a keyword in relation to images of subjects against white backgrounds. According to this guy, you should only use 'isolated' when your subject appears to be almost floating against the white background (ie when there are no shadows cast on the background.) Like your subject has been cut out and placed against the white digitally. And conversely, if there are shadows appearing on the white background from the subject, 'isolated' as a keyword would be inappropriate. Do many people agree with this? I figured it would be down to the individual's own interpretation. After all, the word 'isolated' can have slightly different meanings in photography. For example, a photography book I read makes use of the word 'isolated' when describing a photograph with shallow depth of field. In this case, the main subject is isolated against the out of focus background. 

On Alamy the preferred terms are cut out - cut outs - cutout - should be automatically detected, but a good idea still to add the key words, I think.

Up to you if you want also to add isolated.

The way of using isolated for shallow depth of field will be an isolated case, I think. :)

Niels

Archived