Anyone using a Canon 5d Mark 4?

3 hours ago, MDM said:

I wonder about the quality control on these Tamron zoom lenses. I had one the same as you mention (mark 1 with stabilisation) on my D800-D810 (36MP Nikon) and it was super sharp in the centre but had quite serious fall off in sharpness towards the edges. It was better on the 24MP D750 but even then imperfect in terms of edge sharpness. I used to have to downsize significantly if edge sharpness was important.

However, the DxO review and other magazine reviews gave it a really high rating for sharpness across the field which was why I bought it in the first place and it makes me wonder about consistency between different copies of the lens. Maybe you got a good one. In any case, I couldn't rely on it and went for the equivalent Nikkor with VR at more than twice the price. I know Tamron brought out a new version but I had already got the Nikkor which is astoundingly sharp across most of the field even on the 45MP D850 (distortion control at the edges at the wide end could be better but otherwise amazing). I have always been a fan of Tamron and have the 90mm macro which is a real beaut but I was disappointed in the 24-70.

It is quite possible that there are sample variations. I also briefly tested the mk 2 but I could not see the difference in IQ, if anything it was worse (maybe it was a bad sample?) the focus did seem faster but that is not important to me.

I also have the equivalent Canon (yes, also close to twice the price) and the focus might be faster but the image quality on the Tamron is the winner, I was quite shocked when I saw that but DxO had a similar finding.

Other than on my 5Ds R it also works really well on my Sony A7R3 using a Metabones V adapter so that is also a plus.

There are primes that are better (at the corners) but I have to admit that the convenience of a zoom makes me leave them in the bag most of the time unless I am shooting the once in a lifetime landscape. In the studio (fashion/portrait) the zoom wins hands down as I can change composition without running around and the corners are of no importance.

BTW, the D850 is a great camera, I used to shoot some Nikon's but don't have much Nikon glass left, I do have a D850 but that is mounted permanently to an Olympus microscope these days. Will upload some of the images that combination produces when I get time. 

Generalist statements like 'there is no better glass than..' probably don't help much here with the original question. Perhaps we could agree that what glass you use hugely depends on on its use. I'd definitely steer clear of 'the pros use this or that'...what matters in the end is who gets the best shots, and they tend to be obtained with a surprisingly large variety of lenses and cameras. 

The 100-400 mkII is a lovely lens and I've worked with it quite a bit, but it is as useless in some situations (low light action, fast sports etc) as it is useful in others. The 400 2.8 is bloody fab, but I can only afford to hire it occasionally for sports and certain events, rather than buy it, for obvious reasons. If I was a staffer, I'd not have that worry, but I am not. 

Having said that, hajes, I reckon that 'fools and amateurs use long lenses [...] pro photographers get as close as possible' will make you few friends among the pro wildlife photographers. Respecting wildlife in its natural habitat & not disturbing it usually goes hand in hand with shooting on long glass, unless you work with remotes/camera traps. Getting 'right in' there is great for street style photography, but will also get you in trouble at many public interest or news events, where you may find yourself in the ejection seat if you get close. It's all relative. 

I want to thank everyone (save the now apparently deleted expert) for making this a very successful thread.  I am glad that I restrained my sometimes sharp tongue and ignored said expert.  As a relative beginner, it was best to let the more experienced respond--which you all did with admirable restraint.

As for my recent purchase of the used 5D4 and (new)Sigma 24-105 f4, I have been struggling a bit with finding correct focus points for larger urban scenes.   Moving from a crop sensor to full frame is actually doing something!  As I improve my focus technique, I think the Sigma is going to be fine, though (having only Youtube reviews to go on) I'm quite sure it's not "the sharpest tool in the shed". 

I'm prepared to go for the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2, but first want to get thoroughly familiar with what I have, as there may not be a pressing need.

Now, if Alamy will only cooperate and get me a second sale!  

Later, Pilgrims!

Archived