Releases to photograph in places like musea

The important thing to remember is that the photographer has to be able to give the accreditor something they need. It is about what you can provide, not what you want!

It is usually access to publishers, coverage or to reach viewers/readers that the museum or event organiser cannot reach otherwise.

Understanding that, despite being probably one of the least successful regulars here, I get accreditation more often than not when I ask. But I only ask where I have something to offer the organisers. It is the same when I write query letters to editors offering photos, or more usually illustrated articles. It means I do not waste time chasing gigs where I have no realistic chance. The time I save I use to research and prepare my approach.

9 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Remember that accreditation to photograph an event or activity at a location is not the same as a property release from that location...

km

Indeed, beyond that accreditation often comes with conditions limiting how you can use the images. For example I covered a British Superbike Shootout weekend at Brands Hatch and the accreditation was explicit, editoral only which was fine for me. No posters, commercial use (advertising etc) and as Keith says, it did not grant any property/model releases - they would have been a separate discussion with the teams, riders etc.

Thank you very much for all your replies...

I'm trying to understand.

Let's say a museum has a policy of allowing people to photograph inside, but not for professional purposes. Is it ok to put those images for sale for EDITORIAL PURPOSES ONLY? Or do you need a special document? If so, what kind of document do you need?

A property release on the other hand would grant the buyer to use the image for commercial purposes, right? Like publicity, posters...

11 hours ago, Michael_Jacobs said:

Let's say a museum has a policy of allowing people to photograph inside, but not for professional purposes. Is it ok to put those images for sale for EDITORIAL PURPOSES ONLY?

No

Any form of 'professional' use of the images (editorial is commercial in this sense, you are making money from the transaction) would be against the conditions of entry. The only thing you could do with them is show your friends (facebook/twitter etc..)

km

Archived