Hi, I've been a contributor now for around 12 years but only started really 'going for it' about a year ago. I've gone from 2,000 images last year to 7,200 images now and have not really seen an increase in either the volume or frequency of sales. Can anybody put any science around this or am I just expecting too much from an already saturated marketplace? Am I shooting the right range of stuff? Does anybody have a similar story to this?

Thanks,

Steve ( Steve Hawkins Photography)

On 5/27/2018 at 13:43, Steve Hawkins Photography said:

Hi, I've been a contributor now for around 12 years but only started really 'going for it' about a year ago. I've gone from 2,000 images last year to 7,200 images now and have not really seen an increase in either the volume or frequency of sales. Can anybody put any science around this or am I just expecting too much from an already saturated marketplace? Am I shooting the right range of stuff? Does anybody have a similar story to this?

Thanks,

Steve ( Steve Hawkins Photography)

It can take a while for images to be chosen, then  published and finally for the sales to be reported, so there can be quite a lag between uploading new content and sales appearing. Have you had an increase in views and zooms in line with the increased size of your collection? Has your CTR (which influences your Alamy rank) stayed stable, or improved or declined?

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, I'm not sure this is "science," but if your new images don't show up at the top of their searches, they won't accrue many zooms or sales. I've been in this very situation. I could add images by the thousands and they'd go unnoticed. The reason turned out to be obvious, once I started looking, they were buried. 

Hi Brian, I see your point and find it really frustrating that some 'irrelevant' images are listed way up in the queue from those I've uploaded.  Seems a bit of a mystery to me and don't know what the answer is? I guess just sticking at it and going for the 'more images means more sales' approach will have to do. Lot of work for small returns though?

Steve, people keep saying this but I for one disagree. In most cases, more images DO NOT equal more sales and absolutely not in my case. More images in an underrepresented category can mean more sales, but not always. Getting keywords right and optimizing search seem to be more important. 

Archived