Artistic Intent vs QC

Just looked at the Alamy Pic of the Week blog entry, and it reminded me of a question I've been wondering about for a while. The QC rules quite clearly say that image histograms should be on a full range from blacks at or near 0 and whites at or near 255, no blown highlights, colour casts, etc. However there are now longstanding trends for deliberately blown highlights, faded blacks, "vintage" colour casts, etc., and Alamy seems to have no problems accepting them and promoting them. See this one for a typical example. Do they make an exception for intended vs. accidental effects? Have you tried it?

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Just looked at the Alamy Pic of the Week blog entry, and it reminded me of a question I've been wondering about for a while. The QC rules quite clearly say that image histograms should be on a full range from blacks at or near 0 and whites at or near 255, no blown highlights, colour casts, etc. However there are now longstanding trends for deliberately blown highlights, faded blacks, "vintage" colour casts, etc., and Alamy seems to have no problems accepting them and promoting them. See this one for a typical example. Do they make an exception for intended vs. accidental effects? Have you tried it?

Some are approved, some not. Don’t add grain, it might fail as mine did on a retro artistic application.

I think it could depend on your QC person and whether they recognize artistic applications. I don’t offer those anymore in spite of my artistic bent. I save them for my POD site because the prices are higher there.

Betty

Archived