5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

It could. But 4 Gb memory is about the absolute minimum. The problem with it is that it cannot be expanded. With thin lightweight (Aero) notebooks memory is soldered on the mainboard, making it impossible to change it or expand it. Terrible practice copied from Apple, who now even does it with their iMacs. Not necessary in this machine so very limiting.

My  laptop now has 8Gb and a 1Tb SSD, but was bought with 2Gb and a 500Gb HDD many years ago. It was 299Eur. No IPS screen, so not suited for Photoshop, just for checking if everything is there and in focus.

The hdd is also really small at 128Gb. My SD card now is a 128Gb because at one point I managed to fill a 64 in one day.

On the positive side: the screen is IPS which is good.

I would look a bit further for an 8 Gb one.

Something like this one  should be ok and quite a bit cheaper by now or with a lot bigger hdd. Ah maybe this one.

Some price aggregators have buying guides that let you set a myriad of specifications.

My minimum specs would be:

IPS panel (essential)

8Gb memory (essential)

13" to 14" (but my own is 11.1")

500Gb SSD

And after that the fastest processor/longest battery life/lightest one my wallet would allow.

Maybe also have a look at used ones where it would be easy to upgrade the memory and change the hdd for an ssd.

My last 1 Tb Samsung ssd was only 299 in December. The one before that 389 Eur. The 8Gb memory was 49 If I recall correctly; could have been 47Eur.

Added bonus: completely shockproof!

wim

Alright Wim, I listened. I ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad E480.

256GB SSD

14" IPS Screen

8GB Memory

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Gen

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Alright Wim, I listened. I ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad E480.

256GB SSD

14" IPS Screen

8GB Memory

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Gen

I'm sorry it's not so super lightweight. They are out there, but still quite expensive. Lenovo used to be IBM. Pretty solid stuff. Hope you''ll be happy with it.

If you ever want to upgrade the SSD for a bigger one: instructions here.

wim

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I'm sorry it's not so super lightweight. They are out there, but still quite expensive. Lenovo used to be IBM. Pretty solid stuff. Hope you''ll be happy with it.

If you ever want to upgrade the SSD for a bigger one: instructions here.

wim

I had to strike a compromise between price/weight/specifications. Hope I chose right.

Thank you so much for your help Wim, I'm only getting round to giving you greenies.

Gen

• Like 1