Tips for reducing Moiré patterns when photographing screens?

I'm tying to take some photos of an app running on a mobile phone. I'm photographing the phone and display from an angle (the shots look better that way) but I keep suffering from Moiré patterns even at 100% view. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid or reduce this? Are slight Moiré patterns likely to cause an Alamy QC fail?

Mark

Capture 1 (and maybe Lightroom or PS) has a tool for removing moiré. Most commonly a problem with  cameras that don't have an anti-aliasing filter (Fuji, Leica and others I think).

I have used it on pics of textiles that hadmoiré, as I recall it was just a slider; move it until the moiré pattern was acceptable.

Changing the angle or the image size may help by but I guess you will have tried that.

1 hour ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Capture 1 (and maybe Lightroom or PS) has a tool for removing moiré. Most commonly a problem with  cameras that don't have an anti-aliasing filter (Fuji, Leica and others I think).

I have used it on pics of textiles that hadmoiré, as I recall it was just a slider; move it until the moiré pattern was acceptable.

Changing the angle or the image size may help by but I guess you will have tried that.

Thanks Martin. I took a look at LR and it does indeed have a tool. I tried on on my particular image and in this instance it didn't fix it, but it's clear that it could be useful on other images. 

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

Just to confirm what Martin suspected, to say that LR does indeed have a moiré adjustment.

A way I have done similar images is a bit long-winded, but certainly prevents any moiré issues. I take a shot of the phone at the angle and with anything on the screen (preferably with the phone off), then take a screen shot of the screen I want to be displayed. That will be a clean image, which I then use along with a feature in Photoshop to make it look as if it's on the display and corrected for perspective. It works well.

I won't get into details of how to do that here because of obvious competition, but feel free to write privately Mark if you don't know how to do this and I'll tell you more.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks. I wondered if that might work. I'll take the screenshot straight-on at hi-res (zoomed in), I'll then overlay and distort on the image of the phone in PS and see what happens. I also watched some videos on line and they suggest manually shifting the focus slightly or the viewing angle or changing the aperture. Trouble is I don't have a good 100% view until I've imported into LR, so it will need a bit of trial and error. I've taken similar shots before (see DYK4TM) without problems, but I think I must have been lucky.

Before you ask - yes those are my thumbs and that was my own heart ECG... It looks much healthier now I'm on meds! But I've got some stored traces that are even worse that I want to photograph upload.

Mark

8 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

You should be able to get a screenshot directly from your phone. I know Androids can but I'm not sure how you'd do it on your particular device. On my Samsung phone I hold the power and menu buttons together for a couple of seconds, and it takes a screenshot and saves it as a file in the gallery (I'm not sure which format it uses). So then you eliminate any possible visual issues such a moire, reflections, focus, etc.. It's the same as pressing the Print Screen button on a PC.

I'm glad your heart issues have been resolved. I don't know much about such things but do know that the trace in that image isn't quite right! I had my own scare not too long ago that turned out to be something else thankfully, but they did countless heart traces.

Look into the Vanishing Point.  ;)

Hope this helps,

Geoff.

Well I'll be darned. I never knew I could take a screenshot on my iPhone, but it works easily. That should nail the problem!

Vanishing point? I just click and drag each corner in turn with some transparency on (so I can see what I'm doing).

Yep 1st time my heart rhythm went wrong (Atrial Fibrillation) I ended up having a surprise overnight stay in A&E whilst on holiday in Ipswich. 

Thanks for your help. Have some greenies! :)

Mark

15 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

VP can make it easier but it isn't always necessary, depending on what you're trying to do. I recently used VP together with one of the other distortion tools to get an inward curve to some text as well as correcting for distortion. In PS I find there are often several ways of doing the same thing, and no one way is the right way, so it's whatever works for you and what you get used to. I've barely touched the surface of PS despite using it for years.

You're welcome, I hope it works out well.  :)

Geoff.

Yes, I just tried it out with a screenshot and an oblique image of a phone and it was very straightforward. Blurring the overlaid screenshot to match the depth of field in the shot of the phone to improve the "reality" was a bit more fun though. Might try it with some "proper" pictures tomorrow. I'm only using PSE 8 so I suspect I haven't got the VP option, but distort function works fine for non-curved distortions. I've got ideas for quite a few images, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. 

Thanks again. Mark

Archived