All news stories from one location are the same, apparently.

Whilst out and about today, I shot a weather pic for Live News. Having done that, I walked along the seafront, and realised that the local council have now erected the signs telling folk that they'll be fined £80.00 for feeding the seagulls, so I did a few shots of these as well, along with a couple of pics of seagulls for good measure.

Uploaded the weather shot to Live News, then another upload of the seagull stuff. Different captions, different headlines, but they all ended up being tucked in behind the weather photo
LiveNews1.jpg

Emailed the news team four times requesting the two things be separated before I got any response, which reads as follows...

"Hi Tony,

Although they are different stories, we have merged them together to keep the news feed tidy. We receive a lot of content roughly every two-three minutes.

Both batches are set in the same location and to the public eye look very similar. As you’ve only uploaded one weather pic, it’s unnecessary to keep them separate.

This will not affect how the stories will be perceived as they are explained in the captions."

So, be aware that anything is now the same story, assuming it happens in your town. Weather pics of men walking dogs, seagull signs, car crashes, financial crashes, plane crashes, rock falls, rock bands - are apparently all to feature behind the bloke and dog ...

In truth, it's very much a follow up on a story from last week anyway, but it would have been worth a shot - if anyone could possibly have seen it .

Grrrrr.

:angry:

"if anyone could possibly have seen it ."

news pix are actively sent out to the news desks....they dont just sit there waiting to be searched for.....

"financial crashes, plane crashes, rock falls, rock bands - are apparently all to feature behind the bloke and dog ."

hardly the case...

km

"if anyone could possibly have seen it ."

news pix are actively sent out to the news desks....they dont just sit there waiting to be searched for.....

"financial crashes, plane crashes, rock falls, rock bands - are apparently all to feature behind the bloke and dog ."

hardly the case...

km

OK Keith, you're undoubtedly the expert on this, but that brings about a question - is the existence of the Live News screen purely for our (the contributors) benefit alone?

If that's not the case, and any customers use this screen, then my point remains, and a relevant picture needs to be shown.

Of course, if the Live News page is just for our use only, then I’ll happily retract my point, and go and sit in the naughty corner… :)

Thanks for pointing that out Kay.

Still trying to find out if the Live News screen is viewed by customers, or if it's purely for the benefit of us contributors...

99% for the beneft of contributors and their fragile egos.....

I look at it just to get confirmation that any stuff i've sent is has arrived (sometimes there are glitches in the pipeline), and to see , occasionally, if it's worth my while sending in a set

it can be seen by pic desks, but as they get 15k+ of images sent directly to them every day from all the main agencies and freelancers, the chances of any of them actively looking there for stuff is effectively zero

km

99% for the beneft of contributors and their fragile egos.....

I look at it just to get confirmation that any stuff i've sent is has arrived (sometimes there are glitches in the pipeline), and to see , occasionally, if it's worth my while sending in a set

it can be seen by pic desks, but as they get 15k+ of images sent directly to them every day from all the main agencies and freelancers, the chances of any of them actively looking there for stuff is effectively zero

km

Thanks for the info Keith, and I’m not surprised that pictures are pushed out for sale, rather than just browsed. Even 20 years ago on pic desks with just a few feeds from Reuters, PA, in house and a couple of local agencies, I had plenty to look at. With today’s input it must be a nightmare.

Neil in the news team kindly responded by email too - pretty much in similar vein to your comments, though pointed out that for spec  enquiries prospective customers are directed to the Live News feed, though this is a rare occurrence. On that basis my original point stands – if it’s a shop window, even an occasional one, then it needs organising properly – and there’s no point in hiding assorted stories from a single location behind one irrelevant picture. This includes weather shots and follow ups from last week, even if neither are the hottest or most exciting news pix of the day.

Yes, there are glitches in the pipeline, and that’s why I contacted the news team at the outset – ‘coz my pictures didn’t show up. Took a good hour to realise they were actually online, just hidden behind another story.

Archived