I assume it's the same tool as in Photoshop.

It's also great for straightening out pictures etc. with the touch of one button. Works a treat, especially, if you have a wonky lens.

Hi Autumn Sky,

I am a newbie on Alamy too; yet, I have been an architectural photographers for many years now.

My two cents. Your landscapes are really beautiful, I love them! Nevertheless, your architectural pictures have some little problems which possibly prevent them from being sold more consistently for editorial use.

As a common habit, art and architectural magazines usually do not like vertical convergent lines in architectural photos, especially when this is not perceived as intentional.

Take, for example, your HFF29N in Madras; IMHO I see no reason to have slightly falling vertical lines in it; therefore I would correct a bit its perspective in post-production;you don't have to cut off the beautiful cornice of the building, as long as you crop the image appropriately.

Good luck with Alamy!

There are other buyers who like the sloping sides as a pictorial effect. You can see this in many publications not necessarily architectural editions.

Allan

I agree with Allan. Although the image in that example does look crooked, it isn't because the vertical lines aren't straight, but because the left and right are crooked to a different degree. I think in that case the whole image could do with a slight rotation.

In many cases (not all), an image of a building doesn't look right if you make the walls completely vertical. It's not how your eye sees it so it looks "wrong". I do straighten walls to vertical if looks right, but often I'll just do it a little so that it still looks natural. The worst cases of buildings looking "silly" with totally vertical walls on both sides are wide angle shots when taken from a low perspective. The walls are naturally supposed to sloping inwards at that perspective, and correcting that makes the image look very unnatural.

Geoff.

Lets be fair to riccarbi though as he/she is talking about achitectural photography which is another ball game.

We are just making the point that there is a place for all types of images of buildings both straight forward architectural and pictorial.

Allan

Allan and riccarbi:   

This is great discussion!  Maybe not totally inline with primary topic of this thread, but I find it very interesting as I love talking photography  much more than tags, lol

It is true I am primarily landscape photographer, simply because I spend large part of my life outdoors so it is natural.   But other things appeal too, mostly anything that sends strong message. I.e if you can stop and be captivated regardless if it is mountain scenery, food dish or madras in Morocco -- photo is successful.

I regard lines in light of the above.  If 'crookedness'  makes image more interesting or appealing, I will leave it.  Strong point riccarbi makes comes someone who is specialized in architectural photography, so he clearly looks at things from different level;   for me that was simply a travel photo I thought someone might find interesting so I uploaded it (with almost no editing at all).   As far as sales go (if I ever get any here, LOL) -- customer can always straighten anyway he/she likes, correct?

Edited by Autumn Sky