Viewing Fuji RAW Files In Windows Explorer

The RAF/RAW files from my Fuji X-E1 camera can be viewed/previewed as an image in Windows Explorer, but the RAF/RAW files from my Fuji X-T10 do not display as an image in Explorer. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this issue?

I only shoot RAW, so not interested in producing RAW/jpeg combos. Wondered if the X-E1 RAW files might have a jpeg embedded within them, while the X-T10 do not, which could account for the issue referred to above??

I believe you need the right Codec installed. Microsoft and Mac periodically update the range of camera RAW formats files they support.

If there was a software CD with your camera, it might be worth installing software from it as it may include the Codec. Or take a look on Fuji's website.

Alternatively there are third party Codec suppliers e.g. FastPictureViewer

I installed FastPictureViewer Codecs with Windows 7 as it added support for my Lumix camera Raw files and for PSD files from Photoshop so their thumbnails appeared in Windows File Explorer.

This thread suggests that installing the trial version of FastPictureViewer and then uninstalling also (bizarrely) works. It could be that the poster didn't realise that the file thumbnails, once generated, are stored by Windows. So exisiting raw file thumbnails would still appear but new files wouldn't have worked. 

Thanks for the link to FastPictureViewer, had not heard of that before. Just had a very quick look at their info, and they confirm software works for Fuji RAF files. They have a 15 day free trial period, so think I will give that a try and see if it resolves my problem.

Thanks for the link to FastPictureViewer, had not heard of that before. Just had a very quick look at their info, and they confirm software works for Fuji RAF files. They have a 15 day free trial period, so think I will give that a try and see if it resolves my problem.

If you do try it, then you may need to clear your thumbnail cache and reboot to force Windows to generate updated thumbnails. It tells you about this in the instructions somewhere, although I never found it to be necessary.

Archived