Wacom Pen and Touch

Oh, my, something contagious going.

I explored Corel Paint, reading reviews. Expensive. The I saw Corel a Paint Essentials for $50 on Amazon. I googled reviews. One of the reviews had a Buy link and that took me to Amazon, but the very same product was $30. Bought it, hee-hee.

I figure if I can learn this one, and love it, I can always spring for the big daddy at another time.

Exactly. Corel Paint is really nice software for illustration.... definitely worth having. I love the brushes you get with it etc, very realistic!

I explored Corel Paint, reading reviews. Expensive. The I saw Corel a Paint Essentials for $50 on Amazon. I googled reviews. One of the reviews had a Buy link and that took me to Amazon, but the very same product was $30. Bought it, hee-hee.

I figure if I can learn this one, and love it, I can always spring for the big daddy at another time.

Exactly. Corel Paint is really nice software for illustration.... definitely worth having. I love the brushes you get with it etc, very realistic!

What kind of illustrations can be made? Do you work from a photo or make one on a blank page? I wonder if illustrations sell well on Alamy?

What kind of illustrations can be made? Do you work from a photo or make one on a blank page? I wonder if illustrations sell well on Alamy?

The oil and watercolour brushes look very realistic, as do pencil & pastels. It's been a long while since I done any painting in earnest but with I'm starting out again now I have the Cintiq. Originally, that's what I trained to be, a commercial illustrator (early 1990's in London, before the recession back then hit hard). I used to do a lot of storyboarding etc for commercials. 

Had a bit play around today with Manga Studio 5 on the Cintiq using pencil and ink brush... it feels very realistic. So much so I found myself trying to brush the page with my hand after rubbing out some pencil lines!

The oil and watercolour brushes look very realistic, as do pencil & pastels. It's been a long while since I done any painting in earnest but with I'm starting out again now I have the Cintiq. Originally, that's what I trained to be, a commercial illustrator (early 1990's in London, before the recession back then hit hard). I used to do a lot of storyboarding etc for commercials. 

Had a bit play around today with Manga Studio 5 on the Cintiq using pencil and ink brush... it feels very realistic. So much so I found myself trying to brush the page with my hand after rubbing out some pencil lines!

Got a chuckle out of me on that one!

Wish I had your training. You'll pick it right up like you were never away.

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, had read the advice to lock away your mouse for a couple of weeks and just use the pen.  It was interesting, but it did not work for me on my everyday applications.  I only use the Wacom for graphics work, and keep the mouse so that I can use either.  And they can be used in conjunction with each other: when I am processing images in Lightroom or Photoshop, I will use whichever one is more convenient, and will often swap between them.  For example, using Lightroom to check for dust spots, I start off using the mouse to eliminate the obvious ones: it is (for me) easier to position the cursor over the spot and then click, rather than use the pen (which tends to drag a little, rather than create a single click spot - an annoying trait I have not been able to eliminate, which also carries over to moving sliders).  But then when I move to 100% view, I use the pen to drag the image around the screen, and because I have it to hand, then use it for the spotting, and it is possible to change the brush size either with the keyboard or the Wacom ring, which is very convenient.  And with the pen, it is much easier to switch between adding and removing when using the localised editing tools, just using the rocker switch.

I'm getting better and faster with my Wacom now.

Dust Spotting is the one area in LR I am having difficulty with. As you say I find the spot 'drags' and with v small spots I find it hard to get the cursor directly onto it.

Duncan mentions Precision Mode but I can't find this in the Preferences box. I seem to have much fewer options then the Preference Box shown in the User Manual. I have double checked and I have the most up to date driver. I'm using the CTL-460 Pen Model on Yosemite.

Precision mode is in the express keys dialog, there's a dropdown menu and it's in there.

Personally don't use it and I actually like a short drag for healing. You are effectively sampling a greater boundary in the brush.

Thanks Geoff. I can't find that option in my dialog boxes despite having latest driver. I guessing it is because I have a basic model.

th_Wacom%201_zpsgud8kvj1.jpg

th_Wacom%203_zpsrxfp6jnj.jpg

In the Intuous it's not a pen function but the key function where it's found. If you don't have the express keys then you may not have it. Personally I've never really noticed a shift with a Wacom but it was quite pronounced in the previous generation of Cintiqs which made them difficult to initially get used to.... IME.

Archived