Photoshop - problem cloning

Not encountered this one before, probably my fault, but I know not why!

With two adjustment layers open, both levels, and the background, I tried to clone, with the background highlighted, onto some white space caused by a rotation of the image. The clone tool worked, but produced a much darker shade than the source. I tried Control D to remove any possible selection issues, but could not get it to work. 

The solution was to flatten all of the layers, when everything returned back to normal.

Any ideas what I was doing wrong? (Maybe I rotated the image with an adjustment layer selected, would that cause a problem??)

Thanks for your response Geoff.

I was cloning onto the background layer, the brush is currently set to normal, so probably was when the problem occurred. I don't change the brush mode, unless it happened inadvertently.

Thanks again Geoff.

Just checked the brush setting and it is sampling only the current layer. 

Not to worry, I have an old version of PS (CS4) so it could be a bug, or I've pressed a wrong key somewhere. Flattening the layers provided a solution.

Archived