Model contract - how for crowds?

Hi,

Another noob question from me....

I have photos of various places where there may be lots of people around, parks, beauty spots or other public places and venues. As it's impossible to go and ask for signatures from everyone, how could I sell such an image? Would it mean I'd have to either remove people from the shot in post processing (assuming that's feasible), or go take the photos at a time of day when there's nobody around? I'm a bit confused by this one.

Thanks muchly,

Leaston

The only realistic option is to indicate that you have no model releases available and designate the image Editorial Only, Rights Managed.  If it is editorial you should not alter the photo significantly in post processing and this would include cloning out surplus people.

Images in public places with no people can usually be sold with no release for commercial use, but you  need to check the location first. Many buildings have copyright limitations on them and some apparently public places have restrictions on commercial photography - Trafalger Square and some parks in London are an example.

I have much to learn. I had no idea a building could have such limitations placed on it for photography. It seems street photography does pose some interesting issues for those who want to sell or use such shots commercially.

Thank you, fellow Lancastrian, I appreciate your reply :)

Stock photography is mostly fun and problem free, but can be something of a minefield if the shooter is not at least a little clued-up. There is no one source which says what can and can't be done but you might find the article below helpful in at least highlighting some of the possible issues you need to be aware of.

http://www.photographers-resource.co.uk/photography/Legal/Access_Rights.htm

Archived