Sign in to follow this  
sceee Photography

Iconic Windows Wallpaper Pic

I thought this was an interesting article about the man who took the iconic Windows XP wallpaper picture.  It states he settled for a one-time payment rather than a license fee structure.  Wow.  That sucks.  http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/28/man-who-took-iconic-windows-xp-wallpaper-photo-has-bitter-regrets/?intcmp=features

Yes, no mention though of what the one-time payment was. Any guesses?

Edited by digi2ap

...but would Microsoft have agreed to a license or would they have just gone and found another green hills/blue sky picture by someone else? It doesn't strike me as being terribly unique - not much bargaining power.

I seem to recall an article about a pictures used, I think, by Apple for similar purposes where the fee was of the order of £20k. It was of rounded Pebble/ stones on a shingle beach

The rumour was about $125k for Bliss. Buyouts still range around $60k for RM, a bit less for RF so that might well be in the ball park.