What happens to portfolio upon death?

CinBrandon

Question

This thought came up the other day... what happens to ones portfolio, and earnings, upon death?

The photographer owns the copyright... so I assume that would pass to whomever inherits the photographers estate. The portfolio will continue to generate income.

But what have othesr put in place to help facilitate the transfer and also for the heirs to receive the future income from the sales?

This question would be for Alamy as well as other agencies.

(I am US based.  This may vary by country so list your country in reply)

Edited by CinBrandon

1 answer to this question

1 minute ago, CinBrandon said:

This thought came up the other day... what happens to ones portfolio, and earnings, upon death?

The photographer owns the copyright... so I assume that would pass to whomever inherits the photographers estate. The portfolio will continue to generate income.

But what have othesr put in place to help facilitate the transfer and also for the heirs to receive the future income from the sales?

This question would be for Alamy as well as other agencies.

I have explicitly assigned copyright to my heir in my will, although it's not necessary if you leave everything to the same person and there are no other gifts. There's a note for the executor, so they would write to Alamy, presumably provide a death certificate, and the income would then go to the heir. For a substantial income probate might be required. This is in the UK.

• Love 1
  • Like 2