Question for Alamy.. why do different browsers show a different sales page?

While doing some research I discovered that when I click on on image in Safari and the same image in Firefox, the sales pages are different.

A bit disappointing that for Rights Managed in Safari, the customer can`t make up their own mind about the terms of a license, but has to contact Alamy through a supplied phone number or email in a drop down window labelled Build a License to get an instant quote about volume pricing deals... No wonder sales are slow.

7 hours ago, Sharon said:

While doing some research I discovered that when I click on on image in Safari and the same image in Firefox, the sales pages are different.

Actually what you're seeing is that a different page is shown to you depending upon what the browser knows about you. In Chrome I also get the Rights dropdown options but if I open an incognito window to the same image  I get the 'Build a licence' tab instead which just prompts you to phone. I've noticed that sometimes you even get different prices but we're not encouraged to discuss that here.

Edited by Harry Harrison

15 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Actually what you're seeing is that a different page is shown to you depending upon what the browser knows about you. In Chrome I also get the Rights dropdown options but if I open an incognito window to the same image  I get the 'Build a licence' tab instead which just prompts you to phone. I've noticed that sometimes you even get different prices but we're not encouraged to discuss that here.

Thanks for your response, Harry, but, it doesn`t make sense to me that different browsers would show a different sales page that originate with Alamy. And you mention different pricing too... hmmm... curious...

7 hours ago, Sharon said:

it doesn`t make sense to me that different browsers would show a different sales page

No, what I was trying to say is that the same browser can show you a different sales page depending upon how much it knows about you, I use Chrome but with both Firefox and Safari I just get the basic 'Build a licence' page with the phone number and no dropdown (and different prices), which I also get with an Incognito window in Chrome. You don't say which browser gives you the dropdown option but I suspect that if you open a Private window in that browser you'll see the 'Build a licence' page instead. I'm not a web developer so I don't know what it is that actually triggers these different screens, or indeed if all browsers support it. 

It may be that Alamy considers this commercially sensitive of course, I seem to remember that when I brought it up on this forum a couple of years ago it wasn't encouraged.