Home page picture

geogphotos

The current home page image is:

"Photograph of young americans gathered next to a Jukebox in a Dance hall in Richwood, West Virginia. Dated 1942"

You have it down as from the World History archive. There is an identical copy on Alamy from Photo12

Using Google I see the same image at Getty, Shutterstock, Imago, Agefotostock, it is on Pinterest, and obviously it is available somewhere from a public domain source on the internet.

I've noticed quite a lot of public domain images being used on the home page lately, and see some huge contributor collections offering sometimes literally millions of images with many many duplicated images. 

Personally I love old images but wouldn't it be better for Alamy to highlight images which are exclusive, and wouldn't that be more supportive of your contributors creating new images?

Or is the message that we should be emulating these public domain collections because they are in demand?

Thanks

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 3
  • Like 3