Galleries

Pam Reynolds

Question

4 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, Pam Reynolds said:

Hi folks,

Just a quickie to ask is it worth creating galleries within your portfolio.  I have started to do this, and I to just need to tidy up a few and add more images.

Thank you 

Pam

Hi Pam,

You're talking about 'my portfolio page'? It depends if you're doing this as a hobby, or if you think you might want to showcase your portfolio to potential clients on the basis that you're going to do paid for work. It's a nice to have if you want to show your mates; if you're trying to sell yourself as a professional photographer, you probably should already have you own website. I guess it might be useful if you don't want to put your stock photos on your own website, but still want to show them to clients for some reason.

Generally as a stock photographer, I would imagine you're probably not going to get repeat clients through Alamy that would look at your portfolio unless you have thousands of photos, or you sell themed pictures, or you've exploited a niche (but I stand to be corrected by others on the Forum :) ).

Steve

Edited by Steve F

15 hours ago, Pam Reynolds said:

Hi Steve, thank you for taking time out to answer.  What I should have said in my post was creating galleries within our Alamy portfolios, sorry I should have been a bit more explicit. Note to self - Get brain into gear before hitting the OK button lol 

Hi Pam,

Yes, you can create galleries on 'my portfolio page'; I'm not sure it's worth taking the time - or generally doing much with your portfolio - unless you have one of the reasons I gave above.

Steve

p.s. Just had a look at your collection - really great pictures!! I'm guessing you've come across from another agency - you're losing a lot of your caption by putting 'this picture was taken on x month'... You don't need that, maybe just put the season in, so you've room for more relevant words. The date on the options tab for the picture should be sufficient.

Edited by Steve F

5 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Pam,

Yes, you can create galleries on 'my portfolio page'; I'm not sure it's worth taking the time - or generally doing much with your portfolio - unless you have one of the reasons I gave above.

Steve

p.s. Just had a look at your portfolio - really great pictures!! I'm guessing you've come across from another agency - you're losing a lot of your caption by putting 'this picture was taken on x month'... You don't need that, maybe just put the season in, so you've room for more relevant words. The date on the options tab for the picture should be sufficient.

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for the advice and the lovely compliments.  I still have an awful lot to learn about Stock, and yes I'm creeping in from SS.  Being an old-un I wished I had done something like this years ago, but at least it keeps me out of mischief 😉

Pam 

13 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Pam,

You're talking about 'my portfolio page'? It depends if you're doing this as a hobby, or if you think you might want to showcase your portfolio to potential clients on the basis that you're going to do paid for work. It's a nice to have if you want to show your mates; if you're trying to sell yourself as a professional photographer, you probably should already have you own website. I guess it might be useful if you don't want to put your stock photos on your own website, but still want to show them to clients for some reason.

Generally as a stock photographer, I would imagine you're probably not going to get repeat clients through Alamy that would look at your portfolio unless you have thousands of photos, or you sell themed pictures, or you've exploited a niche (but I stand to be corrected by others on the Forum :) ).

Steve

Hi Steve, thank you for taking time out to answer.  What I should have said in my post was creating galleries within our Alamy portfolios, sorry I should have been a bit more explicit. Note to self - Get brain into gear before hitting the OK button lol