Nikon Coolscan 9000ed

Hi,

I'm trying to scan color negatives with my Nikon Coolscan 9000ED, which is working well with slides and B&W negs.

Here's the problem: While the small vignettes at the top of the screen look fine, when I open one of the images it is completely different, blueish and very low in contrast. I'm able to improve some images to a certain point, but most are impossible to  correct. I resetted the controls to the default values to no avail, the vignettes still look good, but when I open an image, it's completely off.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Scanning is a "black art" - what software are you using ? Also there is usually a setting for different colour negatives which all have different "masks" I have scanned thousands of negatives but would not regard my self as expert but more inof is needed !

Regards

John

I've found that sometimes when I change adapters on my Nikon 5000ED that unless I really shove the adapter into the scanner it doesn't always make full contact. When this happens scans will sometimes have a color cast because not all color information is transferred. Of course these are two very different models but removing any adapter and re-inserting it firmly might help.

Another possibility is that you just need to clean your connections or try a different cable.

Thanks for your answers.

I finally found a solution. All my settings were set to neutral, so I started playing with ROC and GEM (I'm using Nikon Scan). Adding a touch of digital ROC gives much better looking images.
But I still don't know why the thumbnails were ok, but the images weren't.

Thanks for your answers.

I finally found a solution. All my settings were set to neutral, so I started playing with ROC and GEM (I'm using Nikon Scan). Adding a touch of digital ROC gives much better looking images.

But I still don't know why the thumbnails were ok, but the images weren't.

V pleased you have found an answer. Don't ignore Vuescan by Hamrick software - I find it excellent with wide support for many scanners. It is not expensive and regularly updated

Good luck

John

Archived