I've seen people mention "in perpetuity" licenses, but I don't see that option for one of my RM editorial photos (and I got an email from an editor who wants to use it, but without time limit). 

When I choose editorial/editorial website/duration, I only see the 5 years option; am I missing something? Is that not available for RM?

https://www.alamy.com/bruce-siewerth-former-theater-teacher-at-evanston-township-high-school-image229036237.html

Alamy negotiates usage terms individually with its customers. That's why you don't see "in perpetuity" as an option.

Also, Alamy's RM license is very flexible -- it's really a hybrid RM/RF licensing model.

P.S. You can always make your images RF editorial (check the "For editorial use only" box in the image manager) if you want to ensure that there isn't a time limit.

Thanks John. Interesting about customers getting unique options, I didn't know that. 

RF editorial sounds like a good idea for me in this instance; so I would switch RM to RF, and then check "for editorial use only," right?

ETA: I checked an RF image of mine, and that shows 5 year time limit too...so now I'm confused...

2 minutes ago, Newberry said:

Thanks John. Interesting about customers getting unique options, I didn't know that. 

RF editorial sounds like a good idea for me in this instance; so I would switch RM to RF, and then check "for editorial use only," right?

Yes, that's right -- just make the changes that you described. It will take about 24 hours for them to take effect.

18 minutes ago, Newberry said:

Thanks. 

Also: how would I remove time limit for an RF image like this: 

https://www.alamy.com/cactus-euphorbia-trigona-against-a-solid-blue-background-image229544433.html

It shows 5 year time limit for websites and magazines/books.

Those are preset options that are the same for both RF and RM images, so you can't change them. If the buyer wants a longer duration, they will have to either choose another RF license and pay more or contact Alamy.

Hm, I'm a bit confused about how/when 5 yr limit vs. no limit works. 

So in the first case I mentioned, you're saying the time limit will be removed after 24 hours, since I changed it to RF/editorial only?

For new RF images, if I choose "editorial only," there won't be a time limit?

7 minutes ago, Newberry said:

Hm, I'm a bit confused about how/when 5 yr limit vs. no limit works. 

So in the first case I mentioned, you're saying the time limit will be removed after 24 hours, since I changed it to RF/editorial only?

For new RF images, if I choose "editorial only," there won't be a time limit?

The five-year time limit will be removed for ordinary RF licenses, but it will will remain for the preset options.

The five-year limit will apply to new RF "editorial only" images if the buyer selects one of the pre-determined licensing options, otherwise it won't apply. It's confusing alright, but I guess Alamy wants to make it easy for clients who don't mind the time limit.

I see, the "personal use" section for my RF images has the 5 yr limit, but below that, under "choose royalty free license," there's no time limit. 

I think I get it now, but yeah, confusing, and seems weird to have a 5 yr limit on personal use...

49 minutes ago, Newberry said:

I see, the "personal use" section for my RF images has the 5 yr limit, but below that, under "choose royalty free license," there's no time limit. 

I think I get it now, but yeah, confusing, and seems weird to have a 5 yr limit on personal use...

Are you sure about that? I don't see a five-year limit on personal use or presentation/newsletter use, only on the other uses (website, books and mags, etc.).

My mistake; "personal use" is the default choice, so it's highlighted, to me it looked like a heading. So I thought that entire top section was "personal use.," as opposed to the bottom section, which is "royalty free license." 

On 1/20/2019 at 14:39, Newberry said:

My mistake; "personal use" is the default choice, so it's highlighted, to me it looked like a heading. So I thought that entire top section was "personal use.," as opposed to the bottom section, which is "royalty free license." 

I had this unusual RM sale (see terms below) pop up today. In shows the lengths Alamy will go to please clients. Don't think I've ever seen one quite as detailed and wide-ranging as this before.

Usage: Business use, One of each of the following uses: Personal use, presentation, internal communication, student project, reference for artist, personal website, personal social media, personal print or card, business website, small book (up to 1000 print run, not front cover), small magazine/newspaper (up to 1000 print run), a digital marketing campaign. Worldwide license. Excludes advertising.
Start: 22 January 2019
Duration: In perpetuity

Archived