For decades now, English speakers in all parts of the world have been watching films and TV from the other English-speaking peoples. For the most part, we all follow along okay. (I feel as if I've written all this before -- déjà vu all over again as Yogi Berra said. Déjà vu? Hey, that's not English!)

Back in film days, I had never heard the term. We spoke of DoF and the shadow shapes the blades created, but no one ever said bokeh.

Yes I only heard the term (Bokeh) when I came back into photography in a serious way a few years back. Before that, when doing film and print, never heard it said. Strange how "new" words seem to keep emerging. I assume it was thought to be trendy at the time.

HEY! How did Yogi Bear get in here? :D

Allan

Back in film days, I had never heard the term. We spoke of DoF and the shadow shapes the blades created, but no one ever said bokeh.

Yes I only heard the term (Bokeh) when I came back into photography in a serious way a few years back. Before that, when doing film and print, never heard it said. Strange how "new" words seem to keep emerging. I assume it was thought to be trendy at the time.

Allan

Me too. I seem to remember back in the 70s seeing images with out of focus highlights being referred to as 'Ooferies' in Practical Photographer magazine.

Archived