The Sony A7ii and usable handheld images at ISO6400

Thanks for posting the enlarged crops Lynn, are they actual pixels size? If so the lens looks to be performing well.

Bryan, I made 700x700 pixel 100% crops but when I made the composite image I stretched the three cropped images to fit along the long edge of the image which is 6000 pixels long. So I guess that makes the crops almost 3X? I'm terrible at all these conversions, if you want me to post something different tell me and I'll do it tonight.

Again, it should be noted that the fire extinguisher image is processed on the bottom left of the image and some of its crops show both processed and unprocessed portions as well. The other two images were completely processed with auto tone, auto color, a boost in contrast and noise reduction (but no sharpening). For the illuminated facades I'm also darkening the image a bit to look more realistic. All were hand held.

Lynn wrote:  I haven't even been able to find an LCD protector for it.

I managed to get a larger sheet of LCD protector about the size of a cigarette packet then cut it to size,  however the protector is thin and would only stop minor surface scratching,  better than nothing until i find something decent.

Paul.

I've been asked to post and comment on the use of used Minolta lenses with the Sony adapter on an A7ii.  So far I've tested three lenses and here are the full 4000x6000px images with 700x700px crops enlarged to 2000x2000px:

As a point of comparison, here's a similar image taken with the Sony kit lense AF 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom, focal length 48mm. http://bit.ly/1DOSQ3R

I was completely dissatisfied with the 100-300mm zoom and ended up returning it.  The images were seriously SoLD.  It's possible it was a bad lens that was out of adjustment but I'm not at all confident that was the issue.

The two prime lenses are better although my initial impression is that they don't do the camera justice.  I'll be doing more testing with them.

Archived