I'm giving thought to updating my Canon 17-40 F4 L lense for the

latest  Canon16-35 F4 l lense.

(to fit onto Canon 5d mk3)

or should I keep the money and continue to plan for getting a 400 F5.6 L

Any opinions welcome.

Thank you

Sparks

Thanks for your time

I have done what you are thinking about,  i am very happy with the 16-35 f/4  certainly a better image quality lens than the 17-40, the 16-35 is better balanced when hand held on my 1Ds III, it also has a very professional feel and finish.

It is not perfect as all lenses are not,  however if i were to make the choice again knowing what i know now i would change without hesitation to the 16-35 f/4.

In regard to the 400mm,  i don't have one however the reports seem to be very good on this telephoto,  in deciding on what lens to buy really depends on what lens would be used the most,  if you feel you would use the 17-40 most of the time there is no question, just go get the 16-35.

On Ebay the used 17-40's are selling for about 400 euro,  so you will loose less than half on purchasing the 16-35.

Good luck.

Paul.

I've got the 17-40 F4 and love it on APS-C cameras, very sharp but it became a small problem though when I moved to FF 5Diii. The 17-40 was a tad soft at the edges. I finally pulled out the credit card and bought an EF 24-70 F2.8 and haven't looked back. What a fantastic lens - very sharp across the frame and at all apathetic and focal lengths. I'll keep the 17-40 for APS use, but the extra money for the 24-70 F2.8 was well worth it.

Ken

I owned the 400 5.6L for about a year. Specifically used for birding. It really needs good light. All depends what you want it for I guess. The 16-35 f4 is getting rave reviews all over the place. I wondered why there was so many 17-40's on the used market. 

Thanks for advice. Looks like its a purchase when the initial price drops.

I do need the extra wide angle for work/submissions.

I have an EF 28-70 F2.8 which has been a very good work horse for a long time, but thanks for pointing at the 24-70

And when I get richer?? I'll be looking again at the 400 F5.6

Do you think they'll update it with an IS version?

Thanks

Sparks

Archived