High res Alamy thumbnail used by infringer

I just had a reasonable value retrospective infringement licence appear in my 'sales'. My thanks to the Alamy infringement team.😀 Hope it clears...

Out of curiosity I reverse searched the image in question and found an unreported usage by a reputable up-market magazine. I then checked to see where the infringing copy of the image was hosted and noticed the new filename ended with "screenshot.jpg". This is an image that has not been published before - so where did the infringer take a screenshot from? Checking the image against thumbnails on the Alamy search results page (as displayed on my 5K Retina display) and I find the size matched indicating this is probably where the screenshot was taken from.

Should Alamy be water-marking their search result thumbnails?

On one hand it would have stopped a thumbnail screenshot being used in this way.

On the other hand the infringement may result in a higher licence fee than I would have received if the infringer had bought a licence.

Mmmm... Are un-watermarked Alamy thumbnails a trap....

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1