UK photographers welcome - seminars, Oct 20, Solihull

The Master Photographers Association has moved its annual awards dinner to Birmingham (Solihull actually) this year on Sunday October 20th. During the day from 10am-4pm at the St Johns Hotel there's a programme of seminars, some of which need paid access (like Trevor & Faye Yerbury's fine art nude studio shoot) and others which are entirely free, even if you just call in and are not a member or coming to the dinner. There is a small trade show, and MPA obviously would like to meet new photographers too, so all are welcome. There are opportunities for portfolio critiques and and I am sure that more than one of the speakers/experts on hand is an Alamy contributor. I'll be there all day but I am not doing any 'event', I'm generally just meeting people, making notes and taking photos for the association's magazine.

There is a link on this page which downloads/opens a page spread PDF with all the info:

http://www.masterphotography.co.uk/2013/10/master-photography-awards-2013-programme/

There's a talk by John Swannell, landscape sales therapy session with Steve Walton, live shoots with the Yerburys, Steve Howdle (hair and beauty) and Damian McGillicuddy (Olympus's latest ambassador) - trade show includes The Flash Centre, Hasselblad hands-on studio, many others; there's a talk by the editor of FACEON magazine about picture requirements for fashion mags. The list of sponsors is now quite impressive and includes the Royal Shakespeare Company Costume Department (from which you can hire all kinds of props and outfits), The Photography Show (the one which effectively replaces Focus next year)...

I've also been told I can say that anyone who has students (college or evening class) may bring students along, and if seats are available at the paid talks MPA will admit students, at their discretion, free of charge but they'll obviously need to either have a tutor along to vouch for them, or some evidence they are photography students.

I'm hoping to attend (awaiting for confirmation of a job on Sunday, its weather dependent, so I hope the forecast is rubbish!). Well worth attending if your in the area.

Another reason I'm hoping the weather in York is forecast to be bad, is that I'm up for a gong in the Architectural category!

Archived