Help identifying a plant & a bird

Bird looks like an immature Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)

Plant is probably a Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata) - several members of plantain family might fit - suggest you do a Google search - can't see the leaves in your picture......

Thanks guys, you definitely took me into the right direction with the plant. I think that the bird might be true too. When googling images it can be seen as black & white and at times with a reddish / brown neck & head. Could be just the maturity difference?

Thanks guys, you definitely took me into the right direction with the plant. I think that the bird might be true too. When googling images it can be seen as black & white and at times with a reddish / brown neck & head. Could be just the maturity difference?

I guess you took the pictures in the US? (ALWAYS add the location when asking for determinations. It's a big world with lots of location bound species out there ;) )

The bird is an American Avocet / Recurvirostra americana in winter plumage.

The plant looks indeed like ribwort plantain (UK name) / English plantain lance-leaf plantain (US names) / Plantago lanceolata  (Many of the plantains in the United States have been introduced from Europe)

Cheers,

Philippe

PS: picture CE81NR shows a whimbrel or curlew, NOT a sandpiper

C9BE7M and C9BE7R show a plover instead of a sandpiper (possibly Black-bellied Plover / Pluvialis squatarola, not 100% sure though;)

You're right image was taken in the usa.. 

Thanks for taking the extra time to go over my images and find mistakes  I truly appreciate it. 

Archived