I'm not planning on buying this camera but as I already shoot with Fuji now it is interesting to me and if I had the extra money I might have considered it as a smaller, lighter additional body. There has been so much hype about the X100VI. The XT-50 has a 40MP sensor, IBIS and many of the features of the X100VI as well as Fuji's flagship cameras. I'd probably choose it over the X100VI if I was deciding between those two bodies because of the obvious advantage of being able to change lenses. To me it seems like a great stock photography camera. It is fairly pricey though and at the camera store I usually use here it is $2599 (Australian dollars) for the body alone.

I think the XT-50 would be a fantastic camera if wanting to travel light. If anyone does purchase it, I would be interested to know how you go with it.

Posted (edited)

I love my X-T5. The X-T50 looks very nice but if I were buying a camera, now, I'm not sure that the relatively small price difference between the two would be enough to tempt me to get the X-T50. It's smaller and lighter but compared with the X-T5 you give up weather sealing, better battery life, 160 megapixel images via pixel shift (though admittedly I've yet to try that), 15 fps mechanical shutter (the 50 is 5 fps, max), the better electronic viewfinder, 3-way tilt screen (the 50 has a 2-way), and the drive mode dial (replaced with the film sim dial in the 50, which could either be a plus or minus). In the US, the X-T5 is $300 more than the X-T50, and, at least for me, I think the differences are more than worth the $300. That said, it does look good, and, like you say, it's very small and light. And also like you say, it might be worth considering for someone thinking of getting the X100VI. 

Edited by Mark Scheuern

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

I love my X-T5. The X-T50 looks very nice but if I were buying a camera, now, I'm not sure that the relatively small price difference between the two would be enough to tempt me to get the X-T50. It's smaller and lighter but compared with the X-T5 you give up weather sealing, better battery life, 160 megapixel images via pixel shift (though admittedly I've yet to try that), 15 fps mechanical shutter (the 50 is 5 fps, max), the better electronic viewfinder, 3-way tilt screen (the 50 has a 2-way), and the drive mode dial (replaced with the film sim dial in the 50, which could either be a plus or minus). In the US, the X-T5 is $300 more than the X-T50, and, at least for me, I think the differences are more than worth the $300. That said, it does look good, and, like you say, it's very small and light. And also like you say, it might be worth considering for someone thinking of getting the X100VI. 

Hi Mark, Yes that is very true. It really isn't much more to buy the X-T5 with multiple benefits. I do wonder if the X-T50 will drop in price as many will feel it isn't worth it at that price. I do really like the idea of its small size and pairing it with a small lightweight lens. There are some contexts where that could be very useful. I like to imagine these things even if I don't actually buy them! I currently shoot with the X-H2S and X-H2. The former I use for wildlife and sports and the latter for landscape, street and general photography. I love them both and really they do everything I need and I expect will do for a long time to come.

Edited by Sally Robertson

It is small, which would be very nice. It would be great to use with a small lens, like you say. The Voigtlander pancake lenses would be especially nice, though manual focus. You definitely have terrific cameras with the X-H2S and X-H2. And believe me, I think about plenty of things I don't buy, too. You should see my B&H wish list! 

I know what you mean about the wish list! I originally just got the X-H2S and thought that would be it. But a while after the X-H2 was available at a good sale price at my usual camera store. I thought about the 40MP sensor and creating high res landscape images and I couldn't help myself. It works out well as my telephoto stays on the X-H2S and other lenses are interchanged on the X-H2.

The X-T5 is wonderful too though and I think its body is a little less bulky. I think it is basically identical to the X-H2 on the inside but different on the outside. I'm really glad you are enjoying yours.

The Voigtlander pancake lens sounds lovely. I don't mind manual focus.

I didn't buy any new photo gear for a really long time and got completely carried away last year and more than made up for it. I bought the X-T5 and thought "okay, that's it!", but then of course I bought lenses for it, though one of the great things about it is being able to use pretty much anything with suitable adapters. Then I made the mistake of saying something on Facebook about wishing I had a Leica Q2 Monochrom, which brought the response from a friend asking if I'd like to buy his nearly brand new one. So I did. Then we were chatting about Leica stuff and he told me how much I'd like a digital M, sent me links to used M bodies, so guess what happened? I now have an M10 as well. So I really, really do need to stop. 

The X-T5 seems very small to me after years of using Nikon DSLRs. I remember opening the box and it striking me as shockingly small. 

Voigtlander lenses are really good! Do check them out. I don't have the the pancakes (27 mm and 18 mm), but I do have the 23 mm f/1.2 for the Fuji and the 35 mm f/1.4 Classic II for the Leica (which I can use on the Fuji as well, with an adapter) and I love them. What lenses do you have for your Fujis? I actually have no Fuji lenses, yet. 

Hi Mark, I am the same in not buying anything new for a long time. I had been using the same Nikon DSLR for 10 years before switching to Fuji. The Leica cameras would be just lovely. I think each kind of camera can make you think differently somehow, lenses as well. Yes, I will definitely have a look into Voigtlander lenses.

2 years ago, when I got the X-H2S, I had planned to do a small business development program and start a photography business. With this in mind I decided to opt for Fuji Red Badge lenses to have reliable high quality gear. So I initially got the 16-55, 50-140 and the 150-600. The 150-600 was because of my love of birds and wildlife. It is surprisingly lightweight for a lens of that focal length and I find it very ergonomic and comfortable to carry. I had a subsequent downturn in my health and so my business plan faltered. I was then doing really well over last Christmas and was intending to give real estate photography a go. So I then got the 8-16mm which seemed the perfect lens for that. Then my health crashed again and I felt a bit silly for spending the money on the 8-16mm. But it is a beautiful and reliable lens as they all are. I haven’t given up on photography business ideas but I just keep doing stock in the meantime which is a great way to keep developing skills.

I would love to have some lightweight primes as the 8-16, 16-55 and 50-140 are all pretty hefty. I do manage with them though but sometimes it’s nice to travel light. I also went with the zoom lenses for maximum versatility, but primes are lovely. I also have a little Sony Rx100VA that I do really like but it’s been neglected lately.

I think if you love what you do then I say go for it with your camera and lens choices, within the frame of what is affordable for you. It really is wonderful when you find gear you love. I can imagine the Leica Q2 Monochrom being a camera that would make you think in specific ways about light, shadows etc, quite different to shooting colour.

• Like 1

Yes, it's really fun to shoot with the Q2m. Aside from the amazing image quality, it definitely does put me in a different mindset than shooting in color and having the option of converting to b&w, later. 

You have some really nice lenses. Do check out Voigtlander. Some Chinese lenses are excellent, too, and tend to be very reasonably priced. So sorry about your health problems. From what you say, you had some nice things going and I'm sure that will continue when you feel up to it. 

• Like 1

Thank you Mark,

I just had a quick look at my local camera store and they have the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 for Fujifilm. It's only available on backorder which usually means it's popular. I had a look at some Voigtlander sample images and they have beautiful soft backgrounds and look like lovely lenses to work with. I'm not planning on buying a prime just yet, but I will keep them in mind for the future. I would really like to get the Fujifilm 80mm macro.

• Love 1