what kind of images will AI start replacing...?

15 hours ago, Steve F said:

I agree, a specific place image will always have to be a 'real' image, I don't think people will ever want to see fake AI generated images of real places.

I do quite well with those sorts of images here!! 🙈

+1. Will destroy a lot of my sales though, which are mainly home studio shots.

What I hope Steve is that there will remain a demand for real photos, even with still life home studio shots. It does seem there will inevitably be some dent in sales, but I'm really hoping a desire for real photographic content remains. I am imagining that AI and real photos will run in parallel on stock sites and buyers can choose. The tricky area is going to be in relation to the honesty of image creators where it is hoped AI content will not be falsely presented as real photography. In a video I just posted in my post above, Duade Paton mentions  an image entered into a photo comp that won and then the creator, who was testing the system, got up and said that is not actually a real photo and should not have won. Apparently some photo comps are now requesting the RAW file be also submitted as evidence of the image being a real photo.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

ChatGPT responds with great vigor:

Chomsky's perspective on AI raises important questions about the nature of intelligence and creativity. While AI systems like ChatGPT excel at processing vast amounts of data and generating responses based on statistical patterns, they indeed lack the depth of understanding and creativity that characterize human cognition.

However, it's essential to recognize that AI serves various purposes beyond mere pattern matching. It aids in data analysis, problem-solving, and even creative tasks like generating art or music. While AI may not possess consciousness or true understanding in the human sense, it can still produce valuable outputs that contribute to various fields.

Regarding Chomsky's analogy of AI as "plagiarism software," it's a provocative way to highlight the difference between original creation and algorithmic generation. AI often operates by synthesizing existing data or patterns to produce new outputs, which some might argue is derivative rather than truly innovative. However, this overlooks the potential for AI to assist and augment human creativity rather than replace it entirely.

Ultimately, discussions like these prompt us to consider the ethical, philosophical, and societal implications of AI development and deployment. It's crucial to approach these technologies with a critical eye while also recognizing their potential benefits and limitations in shaping the future of humanity.

Very insightful thoughts Jeff. There will be very useful applications with AI in many fields. Developments in medical treatment come to mind. So there will be definite benefits but there will obviously be many ethical considerations as well. It is a very complex area going forward.

• Like 1