Just wondering if any one else experiences a considerable time delay before Lightroom opens and is ready to use.  I am still using LR 6.1.1 and the catalogue size is getting close to 1Gb. It can take up to 4-5 minutes for the program to become available to use. Should I be optimising the catalogue or reducing the size of it? Any help much appreciated.

BW, John

Using an iMac, 16gb RAM, SSD drive, catalogue on external WD drive and LR v4.4 I have 1 TB in my catalogue and it takes 5 secs to open.

There does seem as if something is slowing you down. I'm not so tech savvy as to offer a solution but no doubt others will jump in.

I also have the standalone version, shouldn’t it be 6.1.4 which was the last software update Adobe have given us. I optimise at least a couole times a week. Stopped importing everything as DNG as well as building standard previews as it takes forever and zaps my macbook air. So do that once i know which photos i’m using. Currently LR is working a treat. I’d definitely suggest updating to 6.1.4 and optimising. Oh and i use an external hard drive as my main catalogue. 

It sounds like Lightroom is looking for a file or files when starting up but you haven't provided anough info really to even hazard a guess. Is it only Lightroom that is slow to start up? DOes it run normally once started? Are the files on the same drive? What about previews? How full is your drive? What OS and computer are you using? Are you writing to xmp or storing metadata in the catalog?

Whatever you should definitely be optimising the cataliog and you should update to the latest version available to you. 

Opening ok for me but everything else is dragging like hell (30k images in this catalog) :( driving me crazy... thinking about going with capture one only no time now to learn its workarounds... ive been to adobe support, system req ok, told me to change my graphic card did that still no luck... slowly giving up on it...

1 hour ago, MichaelG said:

Opening ok for me but everything else is dragging like hell (30k images in this catalog) :( driving me crazy... thinking about going with capture one only no time now to learn its workarounds... ive been to adobe support, system req ok, told me to change my graphic card did that still no luck... slowly giving up on it...

Have you tried the Lightroom Queen Forums . This would be my first port of call if I had a problem with Lightroom that I couldn't resolve myself. I don't know what Adobe Support is like but company support people are often much less knowledgable about solving real issues - they are often there to solve problems with subscriptions, installation and the like but will just have stock answers to common questions . The guys and gal over at the Lightroom Queen forums are extremely knowledgable and very helpful.

If asking a question do give a detailed description of your problem and your setup. For example is your problem in the Library Module or the Develop Module - in other words is it the database or the raw conversion engine? One thing to do here if the latter would be to try the conversion in ACR rather than Lightroom and see if that makes a difference.

8 hours ago, MDM said:

Have you tried the Lightroom Queen Forums . This would be my first port of call if I had a problem with Lightroom that I couldn't resolve myself. I don't know what Adobe Support is like but company support people are often much less knowledgable about solving real issues - they are often there to solve problems with subscriptions, installation and the like but will just have stock answers to common questions . The guys and gal over at the Lightroom Queen forums are extremely knowledgable and very helpful.

If asking a question do give a detailed description of your problem and your setup. For example is your problem in the Library Module or the Develop Module - in other words is it the database or the raw conversion engine? One thing to do here if the latter would be to try the conversion in ACR rather than Lightroom and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you MDM, never hear of them! I gonna give it a try. I was talking to tech guys from adobe and they took over my machine and didn't really solve anything. Its is dragging on every level. Slow loading library, slow previous, very slow when moving between modules, in develop panel delay with every slider move and when i try using brush or radial filter it just goes to stand still... very popular message on my screen is "lightroom not responding" .... going through large batch of photos is pure hell.

anyway thank you for your advice! i will try them and hopefully someone will be able to help. 

Michael 

1 hour ago, MichaelG said:

Thank you MDM, never hear of them! I gonna give it a try. I was talking to tech guys from adobe and they took over my machine and didn't really solve anything. Its is dragging on every level. Slow loading library, slow previous, very slow when moving between modules, in develop panel delay with every slider move and when i try using brush or radial filter it just goes to stand still... very popular message on my screen is "lightroom not responding" .... going through large batch of photos is pure hell.

anyway thank you for your advice! i will try them and hopefully someone will be able to help. 

Michael 

Sounds like you have a serious problem alright.  I didn't know Adobe tech would go that far either so sounds like you may have exhausted that avenue but probably still worth checking out the link I gave. The Lightroom Queen is not official Adobe but she is almost and there are some seriously knowledgeable people on there.

What machine, OS, RAM, space on drive, version of LR are you using etc? And is it only Lightroom that is misbehaving?

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Sounds like you have a serious problem alright.  I didn't know Adobe tech would go that far either so sounds like you may have exhausted that avenue but probably still worth checking out the link I gave. The Lightroom Queen is not official Adobe but she is almost and there are some seriously knowledgeable people on there.

What machine, OS, RAM, space on drive, version of LR are you using etc? And is it only Lightroom that is misbehaving?

I have win 10 run on Intel Core i7 -4770CPU @3.5Ghz , 16gb ram and 250gb ssd (20% free). I store all the images on separate drives. Graphic card is GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. and yes, everything else is fine... photoshop works ok not to mention capture one demo that works flawlessly. 

3 hours ago, MichaelG said:

I have win 10 run on Intel Core i7 -4770CPU @3.5Ghz , 16gb ram and 250gb ssd (20% free). I store all the images on separate drives. Graphic card is GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. and yes, everything else is fine... photoshop works ok not to mention capture one demo that works flawlessly. 

Have you tried reseting Lightroom Preferences? If not it is worth a try. It probably won't do anything but it is worth knowing about anyway. If you use the manual deletion method then you can save the original in case it doesn't do anything. 

I presume it is not just one particular catalog that is causing problems. If it is just one catalog by any chance,  then you could just create a new catalog, making sure you write all the metadata to xmp files first and also making sure that any catalog specific things such as labels and flags have been changed to keywords so you don't lose any info. I like to keep all my metadata outside of the catalogs in case they do corrupt although so far so good it has never happened

Just a thought.

A few months back, and for some time, I too had been seeing a decreasing performance from LR with it slowing down. 2-3 minutes at times to load. Many years without a problem then it suddenly went awry. Everything I tried failed to resolve the issue. Then, coincidentally,  my H/D failed! Fortunately all my images were backed up. I installed a new SSD drive and reinstalled LR, electing to locate the catalogue from the external drive and use it as it current source. Voila, all issues resolved. I TB loads in 5 secs each and every time.

So, whats to be learnt here. As a non tech guy I can only deduce that maybe deleting LR and all it's attributes and associations and then reinstalling it may be the answer. Basically this is what happened to me.

Worth a try maybe?

46 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

Just a thought.

A few months back, and for some time, I too had been seeing a decreasing performance from LR with it slowing down. 2-3 minutes at times to load. Many years without a problem then it suddenly went awry. Everything I tried failed to resolve the issue. Then, coincidentally,  my H/D failed! Fortunately all my images were backed up. I installed a new SSD drive and reinstalled LR, electing to locate the catalogue from the external drive and use it as it current source. Voila, all issues resolved. I TB loads in 5 secs each and every time.

So, whats to be learnt here. As a non tech guy I can only deduce that maybe deleting LR and all it's attributes and associations and then reinstalling it may be the answer. Basically this is what happened to me.

Worth a try maybe?

I did think about that as I have seen that happen but if it was a drive failure then it should be affecting everything, not just Lightroom

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

I did think about that as I have seen that happen but if it was a drive failure then it should be affecting everything, not just Lightroom

The thing was - the LR issue was quite a few months old, with nothing else affected. PS and C1 functioning as expected. Both, of course, quite demanding. The drive failure came out of the blue! One day I was  in fine, the next dead! 

I have 144K images in my LR catalogue, most being TIFF. Total to date is !TB.All in an external drive.  I've just opened the program in 3 seconds! 

6 hours ago, ReeRay said:

The thing was - the LR issue was quite a few months old, with nothing else affected. PS and C1 functioning as expected. Both, of course, quite demanding. The drive failure came out of the blue! One day I was  in fine, the next dead! 

I have 144K images in my LR catalogue, most being TIFF. Total to date is !TB.All in an external drive.  I've just opened the program in 3 seconds! 

Interesting. Perhaps this was because Lightroom uses the disk a lot as it has to keep tabs on where the files are and any changes whereas Photoshop works mainly in RAM if there is enough.

I've seen a few drive failures but they generally happen as you say out of the blue. The only time I have ever seen a slow down as a precursor was on my son's MacBookPro some years back when the whole thing slowed down to a crawl but I think the drive was physically damaged. Maybe it is an indication of impending drive failure in this case then.

On 7/12/2018 at 13:53, Jay D said:

I also have the standalone version, shouldn’t it be 6.1.4 which was the last software update Adobe have given us. I optimise at least a couole times a week. Stopped importing everything as DNG as well as building standard previews as it takes forever and zaps my macbook air. So do that once i know which photos i’m using. Currently LR is working a treat. I’d definitely suggest updating to 6.1.4 and optimising. Oh and i use an external hard drive as my main catalogue. 

Hi Jay, Yes, an upgrade to 6.1.4 is long overdue. Like you I optimise on a regular basis and use an external hard drive for my main catalogue. It still has > 100Gb of space free. Not sure what the issue is but it may be anti-virus software scanning everything. Thanks for your response.

On 7/12/2018 at 18:11, MDM said:

It sounds like Lightroom is looking for a file or files when starting up but you haven't provided anough info really to even hazard a guess. Is it only Lightroom that is slow to start up? DOes it run normally once started? Are the files on the same drive? What about previews? How full is your drive? What OS and computer are you using? Are you writing to xmp or storing metadata in the catalog?

Whatever you should definitely be optimising the cataliog and you should update to the latest version available to you. 

Cheers MDM - all sensible advice. I didn't provide more info because I was half expecting everyone to agree that it is a dog opening. Have loads of RAM, hard disk space, optimise on a regular basis, fast processor, OSX, 10.12.6 (Sierra), don't store metadata in cat. Files stored on external HDU. Think it must be anti-virus software scanning everything. Going to check.

16 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Just a thought.

Worth a try maybe?

Sensible approach - thanks for the advice. Going to have a play around and see what's what! :-)

On 7/13/2018 at 16:54, MDM said:

Have you tried reseting Lightroom Preferences? If not it is worth a try. It probably won't do anything but it is worth knowing about anyway. If you use the manual deletion method then you can save the original in case it doesn't do anything. 

I presume it is not just one particular catalog that is causing problems. If it is just one catalog by any chance,  then you could just create a new catalog, making sure you write all the metadata to xmp files first and also making sure that any catalog specific things such as labels and flags have been changed to keywords so you don't lose any info. I like to keep all my metadata outside of the catalogs in case they do corrupt although so far so good it has never happened

Thank you MDM for all the suggestions! I did the reset before and didn't change a thing and no, not one. Have four different catalogs and all being sluggish. I may actually try and reinstall the lightroom see if it works...  

Sorry Jansos for hijacking your thread!  Hope you will get this sorted soon! 

On 12/07/2018 at 22:19, Alex Ramsay said:

15 secs to open with 60,000 images here. Have you tried disabling the graphics processor? (Prefs/performance)

Alex

just a thought, but I briefly had a speed issue last year and the above is how I fixed it. once it worked ok without graphics processor I discovered that it was a corrupt graphics driver that I just reinstalled and has worked ok since!

as I say, it was just a thought.

j

Archived