I left a mobile upload in a batch and failed submission.  The following batch was failed along with the previous batch.  I've been banned for ten days.  I understand rules are rules but that is a bit too strict for me, I liked it here but don't know if I'll be back.....

I would take it on the chin and take more care with future submissions.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bear said:

I left a mobile upload in a batch and failed submission.

If you do stay, you won't make this mistake again. It's Alamy's version of 'tough love'...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Craig Yates said:

You need to focus on why your images failed.

Yes Craig, it was the mobile file that was in the middle of the batch I had forgotten was a cell phone pic.  Thanks for the comments BobD and John Morrison.

Question:  Are all failures given the ten day ban?  (I can't find the FAQ on this topic).

I once forgot to crop an image after correcting verticals in Photoshop and must have flattened the image with the underlying uncorrected layer. Quite rightly the submission failed and I never made that mistake again even when editing under the influence.

Buyers need to rely on Alamy quality. Learn and move on, it's nothing personal.

Good luck with future subs

Joe 

3 minutes ago, Bear said:

Yes Craig, it was the mobile file that was in the middle of the batch I had forgotten was a cell phone pic.  Thanks for the comments BobD and John Morrison.

Question:  Are all failures given the ten day ban?  (I can't find the FAQ on this topic).

Not all failures get a 10 day ban. Have you also failed recently with an earlier submission?

John.

10 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Not all failures get a 10 day ban. Have you also failed recently with an earlier submission?

John.

No, first time John. 

I have decided to keep from making a rash and knee jerk reaction, at the end of the 10 days I will impose a ten day restriction of my own for uploading to Alamy.  In the mean time during the 20 days I will be uploading to competitor sites, files that I will not share with Alamy.  (Yeah as if Alamy would care).... :rolleyes:  then I can decide what to do at that point.....:wub:

8 minutes ago, Bear said:

No, first time John. 

I have decided to keep from making a rash and knee jerk reaction, at the end of the 10 days I will impose a ten day restriction of my own for uploading to Alamy.  In the mean time during the 20 days I will be uploading to competitor sites, files that I will not share with Alamy.  (Yeah as if Alamy would care).... :rolleyes:  then I can decide what to do at that point.....:wub:

With the best of intentions - if taking time out from uploading, time spent on adding keywords might prove beneficial as IMHO you are way too stingy with keywords - relevant, but way too few. This of course is relevant both here and elsewhere.

I surmise that until you have a two- or three-star QC rating a single fail will get you a timeout. I can't be sure because I haven't had a fail since the ten-day system started. Before that I was certainly allowed the odd fail without sanction.

Posted (edited)

As a newcomer myself, I have noted that I am up to the (maximum?) 3 star QC ranking, and I've only uploaded around 60 images so far.

(I've got a handful of images which I'm not sure about putting on sale though....not sure what they are frankly....some sort of strange machine....that's for another thread though)

So it won't be long before you achieve that also....in ten or twenty days time, whichever you choose.

By the way spacecadet, we are given a two star rating after initial submission nowadays....I know it's probably been a very long time ago for you though! ;) and I mean that in the nicest possible way of course, as with all you Alamy 'old' timers! :D

Best of luck Bear, the ten (twenty?) days will fly by. :)

Edited by Gareth
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Joe, Stokie, Martin, Spaecadet, and Gareth!  I just found this QC ranking y'all have been talking about, looks like mine is a one star........

The star system is quite recent.

Barry, the sin bin, as we call it, used to be for a month. In the meantime, you can shoot, edit, and do tagging. Good luck.

Edo

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Barry, the sin bin, as we call it, used to be for a month. In the meantime, you can shoot, edit, and do tagging. Good luck.

Edo

Cool, thx Edo!  Sin Bin, I like that!  Wow a month!  You know I don't mind rules but the 10 days or month in the past is too strict.  The other thing or two things, the second batch that had nothing to do with the infraction was failed also, that really irked me.....then as I read the FAQ's, they don't even check every photo, so to fail the whole batch just because of one is ridiculous....I guess youall have heard this all before.  But I would rather every photo be checked for quality and it failed and not the whole batch, that is too much work to keep redoing...

If they don't have enough inspectors or reveiwers or whatever they call them, then they need to hire more help.........:angry:

40 minutes ago, Bear said:

If they don't have enough inspectors or reveiwers or whatever they call them, then they need to hire more help.........:angry:

Sorry to be a pain Bear, but not the case.

With the best will in the world, there are thousands and thousands of images uploaded every day on Alamy, checking them pixel by pixel at 100% is not something any agency could do.

Put simply, that's your job - before you upload...

46 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

Sorry to be a pain Bear, but not the case.

With the best will in the world, there are thousands and thousands of images uploaded every day on Alamy, checking them pixel by pixel at 100% is not something any agency could do.

Put simply, that's your job - before you upload...

TeeCee, the other RF sites I deal with all fail the photo, not the whole batch.  And if not mistaken, they all check every photo......

Most of us had complaints about Alamy' QC policy at the beginning. Once you get used to what Alamy is looking for technically, then passing QC shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I've found my experiences with QC -- good and bad -- to be a learning experience, which doesn't mean that I haven't been frustrated by some of their calls. You're lucky you missed "sin bin" days.

BTW, you need to add more info to your captions for Alamy. A brief caption like "horses" won't work here -- what are the horses doing, what kind of horses are they, where are they, etc. Editorial clients want lots of info.

Good luck.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bear said:

TeeCee, the other RF sites I deal with all fail the photo, not the whole batch.  And if not mistaken, they all check every photo......

I may be wrong, but I believe most other sites do their checking largely using software, whilst Alamy check theirs entirely using personnel. Checking every image every day would require literally hundreds of people to get through the task.

In the end, whilst prices here ain't what they used to be, they're still way higher than any other place I know of. These prices cannot be maintained unless buyers can be sure the image they buy is utterly perfect. Failing the whole batch has always been the way here, (I've fallen foul of it just like everyone else) -  frankly it's a surefire way of ensuring we check before we press upload.

Edited by TeeCee

1 hour ago, TeeCee said:

I may be wrong, but I believe most other sites do their checking largely using software, whilst Alamy check theirs entirely using personnel. Checking every image every day would require literally hundreds of people to get through the task.

Indeed. Probably more.

link 1

link 2

link 3

wim

1 hour ago, Bear said:

...And if not mistaken, they all check every photo......

And they use how many days for your submission? Alamy use 24 hours.

To check your own images for errors (dust spots etc.) is the easiest work and you always have to do it with EVERY image you post online, submit to stock/customers etc. so Alamy trust us

contributers that we have done our job before each submission.

(Adding keywords takes most time, atleast most time to come up with good keywords).

I have some photography friends that post pictures online (instagram, facebook etc.) with large errors like both dust spots, horizon is not straight and so on, they says when I mention about the errors: "I didn't bother, and correct it if any want to buy the image". Like which customer trust that the photographer would correct the error when buying a print?

Me myself am so strict about my own images I submit for stock, that many images that would look great for instagram (small images) but would not be suitable in larger view. Mostly because of image not being sharp enough.

Back to keywording.

Your image: P696X0 with a beach that is where? Is it during winter/summer/spring/autumn? On Alamy you can use phrases also, and just not single words like: santa monica beach, beach california, american beach, california summer beach, etc. (just an example).
(The horizon is also not straight if you look at the ocean at the right part).

If you use Lightroom, you can keyword all your images there before export and submitting. For me not an english speaking, I don't always keyword before export since I would search my own images (in my collection) in my native language anyway.

I did not ment to sound strict or harsh. But when you are not out taking pictures, take time and make good keywords for your images. Also write a good explanation so a future buyer know what your image is all about (I admit, I'm not the best in writing what about on my own images).

You could search other images here and learn how they write good keywords. I have learnt a lot reading this forum, and admire some with all the time they use for keywording.

I took a wiki search for your city, and Lexington is called the "Horse Capital of the World", so you can use it for your advance.

A last tip, DON'T "hunt" for good discoverability (green), since too many random useless keywords would just make your images appear in searches where you won't get sales/zoom. And it will make your CTR (click through rate) lower.

• Upvote 1

Another tip: also add the country in your tags. Alamy is a British agency selling to international markets.

Gen

This is one of the things I like about Alamy is this forum, lots of nice folks on here from all over the world....cool!  Thanks for all these tips, Roger you have straighter eyes than I do on the level of the horizon.....:D   I have to say the key wording is not something I have been good at, maybe over time with these tips but the original deal was the cell phone photo that wound up in the batch, that won't happen again.  I do have one site that has been requesting mobile uploads, so it got mixed up in the upload, which as pointed out is still my fault....

Goodness, guess I'll have to work on the title and keywords.  I have been with other sites a couple of years but have not really gotten into the stock photography that much until I made $100 at one of the sites recently and only had less than 90 pics.  One photo sold lots of times and I would not have thought it would do that well.  So, I decided to make an effort at it, (the stock photography).

Pardon, but what is sales/zoom?

I spent years with racehorses, so to help you with your horse images you would need to specify colour (bay,chestnut,grey), sex (yours look mostly like broodmares on a large Kentucky thoroughbred farm).  Mention which farm.  Editorial images need to be specific as editors are looking for specific images.  They  may be doing an article on the farm where you took the photos, or about throughbred breeding farms in general. Supply them with all the info you can.  If someone was searching for "thoroughbred broodmare and foal" they wouldn't find your image as you just have "horses".  

They can't buy it if they can't find it.

Jill

9 hours ago, Bear said:

Pardon, but what is sales/zoom?

Zoom is when your image have been clicked on, in a larger view.