Sale prices - is there any logic, and can I control it?!

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

You are no doubt right. But imagine an agency within the portal for those who want to sign up to it, and who Alamy want to sign up to it. The motive would be to keep the images from those photographers here on Alamy and not all over the place. Why? Because these are the images that are making money for the Alamy agency.

I can imagine that. However, I don't know how much it would really benefit contributors or Alamy for that matter. In the end, prices are determined mainly by market forces. With so many sources and choices of images available nowadays, chances of clients being willing to pay higher prices just because images are exclusive to Alamy seem slim to me. Alamy would probably end up having to negotiate downward, offer bulk deals, etc. for "agency" images and things would essentially be back to where they started.

Sorry to sound so darn pessimistic... :unsure:

The market will only be broken when the supply of images dries up, and maybe even contract.

We all rightly complain but still keep uploading.

I stopped uploading for a few years when the commission was reduced, since then 60 million or so images have been added to Alamy alone.

In any other walk of life I wouldn't cross the road for what I receive for a days work here, but then I am retired with a good pension so don't do it for money alone. I suspect that is the same for a lot of contributors.

I was accepted on another agency recently but never uploaded anything because I just couldn't bring myself to supply an agency that sold images for cents. I sincerely hope that the same doesn't happen here, because then I would stop uploading again, not because of just the money, just refuse to be taken advantage of.

I, and probably most other contributors, would like to hear the views of the new CEO at Alamy as to what the future with alamy holds for their contributors and the picture market in general.

In fact it would be nice to hear from the new CEO just as we used to from James in his Vlogs from time to time. I appreciate he is a busy man but James used to find time for the contributor.

Allan

59 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Then again maybe I should give up and start selling skin-so-soft to the neighbours. ;)

Sell it to stock photographers heading to Scotland!

It's a better protection against midges than any insect repellent!

It's not the prices in general that hurt so much as the ridiculous $x sales for extended licences that make you lose faith. Certainly if these became more the norm I would stop.

I haven't got a large enough port to try going it alone, I certainly would if I were you Ian.

Having said that my average sale price has increased this year and sales have also increased, so at the moment I am content.

14 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Not really a sacrifice when you think that adding each extra 1000 images is likely to bring in only a few quid more a month in additional income.

So you'll just keep your new additions off Alamy then?

When I joined, I got 50%. A lot of sales were in the neighborhood of $200-300. Not that I was selling a lot while building numbers, but when I did, it was great. 50% of that, just one sale, amounted to more than multiple low-ball sales at 40% my cut now.

I realize times have changed. But Good! Grief! unless one shoots and processes hundreds every month, and has a portfolio numbering in the 100s of thousands, one can’t get a decent check (cheque) these days.

20 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Last night at rowing I bought a round of three drinks and it was pointed out that I had spent the proceeds of a book cover. 

A completely different question, Richard, what do you row? 

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

When I joined, I got 50%. A lot of sales were in the neighborhood of $200-300. Not that I was selling a lot while building numbers, but when I did, it was great. 50% of that, just one sale, amounted to more than multiple low-ball sales at 40% my cut now.

Didn't you get at least 60% at that time, Betty? Or are you talking about distributor sales? But that would only be 30% now. I got 50% percent the first few years I was here.

Niels

1 hour ago, funkyworm said:

Fours, double skulls, does that sound right? I covered the world cup rowing a few years ago and recall getting tied up in knots with the different classes for the captions, and then both in Dutch as English.

Its this: https://www.roeicentrumberlagebrug.nl/cursussen/

I'd recommend it to anyone. Me and a couple of friends started a few years ago, partially for the sport, but mostly as a way to ensure that we meet up for a chat periodically, the centre is on the banks of the Amstel with a lovely bar where you watch the sun set over this fine city. Following a course is also easier to sell to partners than popping out for a beer with friends. It would probably be cheaper to join a club but we like the freedom of just taking courses... and there is an element of what goes around comes around... I think its good to pay people to do a job, in this case the students who teach us, and teach me as I grill them about their study, which is subject matter for work. Our fourth (wo)man have always been very interesting people... this week I was chatting to one who is a curator of an arts organisation about future career possibilities as this one seems to be coming to an end.

Sounds great. :) And quite agree.

I have rowed for ages. Mostly double coastal boats (a coastal type of scull boats)  - as coastal waters often are more rough - and two oars in-rigger rowing club boats. Best exercise you can get - the sliding seats see to that most muscles are used. In the latter boat type I have rowed more than ten times round  Sealand and twice from Oslo to Copenhagen. Often days of up to 100 km rowing - and weather can be rough. Often spending one or two days in rowing clubs or in tent on archipelago islands waiting for the harsh westerly winds to fall - especially on the Oslo tours. Meeting quite a lot of interesting people in the very best way.

During winter the Concept2 rowing ergometer offers excellent and similar training - though more tedious.

Niels

9 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

A completely different question, Richard, what do you row? 

Didn't you get at least 60% at that time, Betty? Or are you talking about distributor sales? But that would only be 30% now. I got 50% percent the first few years I was here.

Niels

I just swept the cobwebs from my brain and VOILA, Niels, you are right. It was 60% then, 50% now. I plead the stress from the move I’ve recently made has scrambled my brain. 

Thats my excuse and I’m sticking to it. :D

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I just swept the cobwebs from my brain and VOILA, Niels, you are right. It was 60% then, 50% now. I plead the stress from the move I’ve recently made has scrambled my brain. 

Thats my excuse and I’m sticking to it. :D

I could do  similar in other cases :)

Archived