Images Sold in July (one per day per contributor)

19 hours ago, ManWay said:

That's a good image Matt. I can understand why you had 'high hopes' for it and I think it'll sell more. Is this due to the 'new order' fashion of lifestyle type images that are based in reality rather than the old 'stock image' obviously staged type things? If so I hope it may long continue. Congrats on the sale.

17 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Great image Matt.

This is the type of image that stands way above the stock photography crowd.

Cartier-Bresson had a famous image of people picnicking with the same atmosphere as yours. I think yours is better.

The Cartier-Bresson image is at the top of this page.

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/967

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I'm not sure you realise how good this image is, Matt. I'd give my right arm, and my left lung for that matter, to have a picture like that in my port. Stunning image!

2 hours ago, kay said:

I really like this too Matt - lovely atmosphere :)  I'd be hopeful for it selling a lot. Looking at the Veuve Clicquot straw tote and Moet bottles that's one expensive drinks gathering!   Hope you don't mind me saying but it might be worth adding tags to really reflect that - "champagne picnic" etc

Good suggestion.. thank you. I will add it.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

Ditto, like it a lot. But I am wondering whether you set it up, or just happened to be passing?

Thank you all for your kind comments.

My wife likes to get her hair cut (which usually entails a change of colour and other treatments so takes about half a day) in a certain hair salon in Earl's Court (West London). So every now and then, I drive into London on a Saturday with my wife, park the car at the Westfield Shopping Center (can park the car there all day for about £8) in Shepherd's Bush and then accompany my wife to Earl's Court. Having deposited my wife at Earl's Court, I tend to pick a part of London to go to myself and wonder around with a camera(s) to take some stock photos. On this occasion, I chose to visit Hammersmith. After walking around for a couple of hours, I decided to have a sit down in the shade of a tree in the park in Hammersmith by the Thames and it just so happened that the group of friends pictured in the photo were sat very close to the tree I decided to sit under.

So the picture was taken with my Sony RX100M3. The group of friends were quite oblivious to me being there quietly sitting a stone's throw away playing with my camera. And as I used the tilt screen on my camera to compose the picture, it wouldn't be at all obvious to them that I was taking their picture even if they saw me. As it happens. I was carrying two cameras at the time as I also had my Nikon D7000 with me but I chose to use the RX100 because I could get a low angle shot using the tilt screen whereas the Nikon would have required me to lie down on my front and be very much more obvious (and less comfortable). So this image wasn't posed in any way... a chance photo taken just by being in the right place at the right time.

3 hours ago, Sally said:

Second sale for this photo which I took after being snowed in for four days during the Beast from the East. Finally made it to Tesco to find nothing to buy. Luckily I took my camera with me. Wonder why it’s being used in mid Summer?! Six sales popped in yesterday,  but should be more to come today. Looking like my best month.

tesco-haddington-east-lothian-scotland-u

Post-Brexit, this is apparently what life will be like.

Looking on the bright side, you may license this shot on a regular basis...  :D

25 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Post-Brexit, this is apparently what life will be like.

Looking on the bright side, you may license this shot on a regular basis...  :D

I hadn’t thought of that! That may be the only bright side after March.....

4 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

a chance photo taken just by being in the right place at the right time.

You are too modest. The chance was finding the subject. The great photography was thinking carefully about how to take it, once the opportunity presented itself.

34 minutes ago, Webby said:

Thought this was too common to ever sell, on the way home from Madrid in May for a decent $$.

A Ryanair aircraft flying to its destination? That's rarer than it should be of late!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2018 at 09:08, AlbertSnapper said:

I did a random image search about a month or so ago, and found the image being used in a newspaper website article, dated July 2015. It hadn't been reported as a sale before, so I contacted Alamy who have now invoiced their customer (the newspaper), so only now appears in my account.

It often happens, publishers who self report have gaps in their reporting. So unless you find it yourself.....no sale.

That's really annoying that we have to search for it ourselves to report unclaimed sales.

What if you have thousands of images, how do you choose which ones to search for?!

5 hours ago, Ambrosiniv said:

That's really annoying that we have to search for it ourselves to report unclaimed sales.

What if you have thousands of images, how do you choose which ones to search for?!

I just check my zooms of the previous month. Just drag them into Google Image one by one or use one of the browser plug-ins or add-ons for that.

You have to remember that some clients can take more than a year to report. Those are no small clients with no small fees either, so there's quite an incentive not to upset them too much.

A good example would be calendar sales: if the calendar is proposed, but hasn't been ordered in enough quantities, it may get scrapped and none is printed. When it's printed and sold, the editor will pay the image agency, which will pay you. Delays of 18 months have been reported here. Nevertheless people have usually been pretty pleased with the fees. ;-)

Text books are another field with really long production times. While prices have fallen drastically and some huge clients gone over to the dark side you would again still be pleased with those fees.

The images I do tend to find are newspaper sales and blogs. Even these tend to operate on a 3 month cycle and are of course not even worth the trouble of looking up.

When Google in 2 cases started finding hundreds and even thousands of unreported uses including some by large companies I decided to file a huge pile of  unreported use reports. While it feels good, the returns are so slight that it's a good question if in this way this is at all profitable for the team (and for Alamy).

Unless of course it's working well as a marketing tool - not impossible, and I could certainly see that working. Provided the marketing dept or just PR gets involved here.

wim

On 8/10/2018 at 20:01, wiskerke said:

I just check my zooms of the previous month. Just drag them into Google Image one by one or use one of the browser plug-ins or add-ons for that.

Could you possibly explain how you do that – the part about dragging images into Google Image?

4 hours ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

Could you possibly explain how you do that – the part about dragging images into Google Image?

You don't have drag and drop?

I'm on a PC with Firefox. Using a pen I just drag* the image to the tab with an open Google Images; that then opens and I drop the image into the search box. It's a bit of a hassle because before I would use this, which sadly doesn't work anymore.

At the end of the month I would use that on a lightbox filled with zooms from the previous month.

Most browsers have extensions; add-ons or plug-ins to do more or less the same. In Firefox I have this one, but it does not give the results I'm looking for in one go. Hence the rather primitive drag and drop.

*with a mouse you have to hold the left button.

wim

Archived