So how is your 2018 going, eh?

8 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I live on an Island on the far west of Ireland (the clue is in my name). I see only tractors and cows passing near my house, and the occasional tourist in the summer. In March this year, I made 11 news sales in one day and by the end of the week the total had risen to 24 sales. I totally agree that you have to go out and get the shots. One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

Meanwhile, I've visited 7 countries so far this year already and still trying to recover some of my costs lol

Shooting locally is the way to go!

15 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I live on an Island on the far west of Ireland (the clue is in my name). I see only tractors and cows passing near my house, and the occasional tourist in the summer. In March this year, I made 11 news sales in one day and by the end of the week the total had risen to 24 sales. I totally agree that you have to go out and get the shots. One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

We're going to have to meet up at some stage, maybe an Alamy meet-up should be arranged?

5 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

We're going to have to meet up at some stage, maybe an Alamy meet-up should be arranged?

I'm coming to Cork on Wednesday next week, before flying to Malaga very early on Thursday morning. I'll be heading back on the afternoon of Thursday week 25th Oct. Maybe we can have our own Alamy meet-up?

12 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I'm coming to Cork on Wednesday next week, before flying to Malaga very early on Thursday morning. I'll be heading back on the afternoon of Thursday week 25th Oct. Maybe we can have our own Alamy meet-up?

That would be awesome!  We should go for Wednesday maybe?  I was in Malaga for a holiday earlier this year, with the intention of shooting a ton of stock pics.  Look what I captured as soon as I got off the aircraft!

malaga-spain-8th-june-2018-irish-musician-songwriter-and-record-producer-phil-coulter-is-pictured-at-malaga-airport-after-disembarking-a-flight-from-cork-ireland-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-P06YN3.jpg

27 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

That would be awesome!  We should go for Wednesday maybe?  I was in Malaga for a holiday earlier this year, with the intention of shooting a ton of stock pics.  Look what I captured as soon as I got off the aircraft!

malaga-spain-8th-june-2018-irish-musician-songwriter-and-record-producer-phil-coulter-is-pictured-at-malaga-airport-after-disembarking-a-flight-from-cork-ireland-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-P06YN3.jpg

Who is he ?

2 minutes ago, Marb said:

Who is he ?

Look below

Just now, Avpics said:

My mouse tells me Phil Coulter

Correct!  He was sitting across the aisle to me on the flight and I didn't even notice him!  If it wasn't for 2 women telling me I never would have known.

1 hour ago, Steve Valentia said:

@Colblimp Nice one - did you ask him? Just curious. PM me and we can arrange to meet up. Remind me to bring you a copy of Cameracraft, the magazine I'm associate editor of, it'll give you something to read when you're not papping musicians. :)

I asked him on the aircraft - he said yes, once we're off.  I had to run after him and only just caught him before he got to passport control.  Can't PM on here any more - send me an email.  I'd love to see your mag, don't forget to bring one!

I'll say this and then run for cover...bearing in mind that I have already offered my tuppence worth...It's not where you live that will help you to be successful in photography (or anything else), it's how motivated you are to succeed at it.

One of the best books I ever read about photography (40 years ago) began with the unforgettable line...the first million photographs I took, were the hardest.

It was never an easy profession, and I started when you had to not only take photograph, but develop and print the film, too. I'm still because I love it. I've had times when I couldn't pay the rent or even sometimes wondered how I could live out the week on beans on toast without going mad (I know, where are the other three Yorkshire-men - Monty Python reference).

But, actually, now, I'm doing OK, many awards later and lots of well-paying jobs under my belt and I'm associate editor of a prestigious magazine.

Oh, did I mention you HAVE TO LOVE IT or, you'll give up very quickly?

Coming back to shooting local. 

I think on Alamy this mainly works if you live in the United Kingdom and around. I am living in Poland and i could shoot my city and all the details until my fingers bleed. I dont think it will make a large effect. The Alamy 2017 numbers where showing something like sales coming 35 percent from UK. 17 percent from other European countries. This is a really small amount indicating that Polish buyers are elsewhere. How much percentage of those 17 percent could be Polish buyers.... maybe 1 percent or 2?  It is not to discourage other contributors but it just seems like that. 

Mirco

4 hours ago, FCP said:

Everything looks like it's going to be the worst year (except when I started in 2011). Reaching the peak of economic failure. Doesn't make sense anymore.

That's a shame - this is my best year by far (I know it's only my third year), I've already got a lot more sales than I did last year.  Life is good!

On 10/11/2018 at 11:45, Steve Valentia said:

This is going to have to be the Thursday you come back, I'm stacked out busy tomorrow I'm afraid.  Send me a text on 0 8 6 7 3 8 8 8 6 3.

16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Bit quiet this month.

And does nobody zoom anymore...............?

I'm doing better with zooms, but converting them to sales ... not so much. Still my 3 sales this month make a total better than 6 in September, so it's not all bad.

Archived