John Mitchell

So how is your 2018 going, eh?

58 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Of the 12 in August how many were live news?

I had 17, 15 live news, 2 stock.

Which is slightly below average? for my number of images (stock I mean)

More live news than stock by a considerable margin lol...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marb said:

Thanks. I knew I wasn't wrong. He is talking nonsense. It's clear others here are feeling the same poor sales. 

Misery loves company

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Loads of money to be made boys and girls but as always "the cream rises to the top"

Maybe "the cream" of stock photography is making all the money while most of us are languishing. It also depends on what you think "loads of money" is.

These days its challenging enough just trying to break even. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Maybe "the cream" of stock photography is making all the money while most of us are languishing. It also depends on what you think "loads of money" is.

These days its challenging enough just trying to break even. 

These guys in the 100k club seem to be doing alright and not by luck...but by sheer hard work & dedication. 

Loads of money depends on contributors' individual circumstances.

I'd be happy with at least $3k/month net income from all agencies + private client work & other photography-related gigs. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

I agree.

2,000 images,  unless they are of a very very specific niche, just won't cut it anymore. Even though quality is of course super important, I think quantity is even more important...as well as variety. If Marb had 20,000 images and was whining of no sales I'd take him seriously but 2,000 come on...work harder and smarter!!  

I see you also complaining daily at the Shutterstock forum's pathetic "doom and gloom" thread. So I think the issue is more to do with your own approach to this business than factors related global diminishing returns.

-----

Loads of money to be made boys and girls but as always "the cream rises to the top"

Thats funny because you do your fair share of whining on that very “pathetic” thread yourself so you cant be doing that well by your boasting. 

Edited by Marb
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, Marb said:

Thats funny because you do your fair share of whining on that very “pathetic” thread yourself so you cant be doing that well by your boasting. 

No whining from me, only winning 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Brasilnut said:

No whining from me, only winning 

Yeah right..............

Edited by Marb
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Marb said:

Yeah right..............

Please take your micro squabbles back to Tiny Town :)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Of course, (doffing my cap) don’t want to hinder the big money coming through here sir 😉

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Tiny Town pays big bills :D 

• Downvote 1

If you want to get sales traction on a smal portfolio, then Livenews is certainly an avenue to explore. Weather news is always a good seller, and anyone and everyone can do it....as many here can attest to. We're in the middle of a series of storms this week and the papers are voracious in their use of imagery

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnnG9urWwAAkriy.jpg

km

Edited by RedSnapper

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

If you want to get sales traction on a smal portfolio, then Livenews is certainly an avenue to explore. Weather news is always a good seller, and anyone and everyone can do it....as many here can attest to. We're in the middle of a series of storms this week and the papers are voracious in their use of imagery

km

Good advice. I’ve certainly made a lot of sales from Beast from the East and the heatwave or ‘El Scorchio’. But I am missing the storms as I’m in Andalucia at the moment. I can’t decide if this is good or bad........

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

km

Agree with this - two of my weather pics from yesterday were used today in the Irish Sun.  If I can do it, anyone can.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3149922/ireland-weather-update-rain-wind-storm-callum/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

km

What you think about other countries?

1 minute ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Irish Sun? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Haha, not today it would seem - the sun's shining!