So how is your 2018 going, eh?

33 minutes ago, David eastley said:

best year ever for volume of sales and we still have 3 months to go. Revenue about 30% behind my best ever year but it could be close

I am also having my best ever year (in 12 years with Alamy). Volume of sales is up more than 60% on my best ever year (which was last year, as it happens). My revenue is up about 7% on my all-time revenue high, which was in 2009.

A big factor in this was my increasing use of the Alamy live news feed. Mostly, as the great @RedSnapper suggests these were weather images, but not all. Some shots of Airport queues - I was a victim too - sold well.

Until a month ago sales were steady running at 5% above 2017.

Since then they have fallen off a cliff. Dreadful September and no sales so far in October. 

Zooms confuse the picture by improving to 71 for the rolling month. 

Total Sales 10

Gross: $275

I am pretty happy with Alamy so far as it is my first year to start as a Stock Photographer and also first time to own a camera. 

My number of images are limited and less than 1000. I belive I am doing good except last two months in which I had only one sale. 

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

Did a news feed Friday on the giant puppets in Liverpool. First shots up here and not a single sales. So much for news feed big events selling. 

One news feed will not feed you. I think if you bought a lottery ticket you would expect to win every time. I have dabbled in news with some moderate success. A full time job limits me to focus on news.

For greater success you need to do it day in and day out when opportunities arise and keep doing it. Colblimp is a good example on here, starting to consistantly sell his news shots.

12 minutes ago, Marb said:

Did a news feed Friday on the giant puppets in Liverpool. First shots up here and not a single sales. So much for news feed big events selling. 

That's very short-sighted, defeatist attitude. I was a press photographer in Liverpool for 20 years, and I know that such an event would be covered by dozens of local and national photographers. Take the following into account when covering a "big event".

• Many press outlets will have their own photographers and not need Alamy news images.
  • Many other photographers will be contributing to the news feed.
  • Your images may not be as good as others.
  • Your images may not go online as quickly as others.
  • etc, etc.

45 minutes ago, Marb said:

Some many  days you bust a gut and get nothing...

Other days you do very little and it goes global..

get back on the horse

km

1 hour ago, Marb said:

You may not know for sure until the end of next month or so when sales get reported. I’ve have not always spotted images used which are reported later.

Noone here who does live news sells something out of every shoot. But you are more likely to get sales if you do it consistently. Expecting uses out of each shoot is over ambitious.

9 hours ago, Marb said:

As others have said, one event won't do it - you have to keep on shooting.  I shot a murder scene on Monday, I've made a bunch of local sales and a bunch more via Alamy.  You mustn't give up, rather dig your heels in, refuse to give up and try even harder!

9 hours ago, Craig Yates said:

One news feed will not feed you. I think if you bought a lottery ticket you would expect to win every time. I have dabbled in news with some moderate success. A full time job limits me to focus on news.

For greater success you need to do it day in and day out when opportunities arise and keep doing it. Colblimp is a good example on here, starting to consistantly sell his news shots.

Thanks Craig - you're right that all my hard work is starting to pay off - 4 images used in today's Irish Sun, including some older weather shots.  I've had pics used every day this week - I'm over the moon!  With a storm hitting my locality tomorrow, I'm 100% sure I'll make sales.  It's just a case of keep on shooting!

21 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

A little extra (local) knowledge can make a huge difference... and not just for news.

That's exactly it - local knowledge!  For example, I know where to go tomorrow and Friday to get saleable images, just 20 minutes down the road.  Because I want to be out early Friday morning, I've arranged to stay at a mates house tomorrow night.  I contend anyone can take images which will sell, you just have to persevere. 

14 hours ago, Colblimp said:

As others have said, one event won't do it - you have to keep on shooting.  I shot a murder scene on Monday, I've made a bunch of local sales and a bunch more via Alamy.  You mustn't give up, rather dig your heels in, refuse to give up and try even harder!

Thanks Craig - you're right that all my hard work is starting to pay off - 4 images used in today's Irish Sun, including some older weather shots.  I've had pics used every day this week - I'm over the moon!  With a storm hitting my locality tomorrow, I'm 100% sure I'll make sales.  It's just a case of keep on shooting!

That's great news  if you are having that experience ( and I genuinely mean that as you have always been polite, friendly and helpful here) as I would have thought with weather shots you are literally competing with thousands of people, especially now nearly everyone has a decent camera in a phone. Also, the local papers send out their press photographers which also ramps up the competition.

12 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Yes... big events mean more competition which means more competition. Its a consideration one needs to factor in when covering large events. A lot of the time you could be on the back foot before you have even started the race. 

Try and play to what strengths you may have, which could be weaknesses in the competitors. A little extra (local) knowledge can make a huge difference... and not just for news.

That said... it aint easy... I am not the only one who has stopped covering certain big events.

Thanks. I live in a village in Cheshire so not that much really to cover unless I head for Liverpool/manchester.

4 minutes ago, Marb said:

That's great news  if you are having that experience ( and I genuinely mean that as you have always been polite, friendly and helpful here) as I would have thought with weather shots you are literally competing with thousands of people, especially now nearly everyone has a decent camera in a phone. Also, the local papers send out their press photographers which also ramps up the competition.

There's not thousands of pro photographers where I'm going tonight - there may be one, two at the most, but I don't care about that.  I'll get my shots then send them in, go back, shoot some more, etc.  I'd contend most local papers don't have staff photographers, my local rag gets all its pics from freelancers.  Just get out there and shoot!!!

2 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks. I live in a village in Cheshire so not that much really to cover unless I head for Liverpool/manchester.

I live 4 miles from civilisation - if 10 cars go past the end of my drive in a day, it's been very busy.  The location of your house isn't the reason for lack of sales/lack of things to shoot.

20 minutes ago, Marb said:

Your local press sends out their togs? Well, they'd almost certainly use their pics rather than look around. My local press only use free pics sent in by punters.

I think if you make a sensible assessment and a sensible trial and find Live News isn't working, just move on. I know that moving to and living in/near e.g. Glasgow would cost me far more than a few live sales (in competition with the national press's togs) would make, so I can rest easier with that (when I remember!).

I covered a festival in my local town with some famous guests. Got some decent shots and not one single sale so for me it hasn't worked and I don't want to go chasing stuff that will not sell as time is precious. Of course if I happen to be in the location at that time I will shoot it.

29 minutes ago, Marb said:

I live on an Island on the far west of Ireland (the clue is in my name). I see only tractors and cows passing near my house, and the occasional tourist in the summer. In March this year, I made 11 news sales in one day and by the end of the week the total had risen to 24 sales. I totally agree that you have to go out and get the shots. One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

37 minutes ago, Marb said:

I would have thought with weather shots you are literally competing with thousands of people,

In theory, yes..
In practice, probably a few dozen at most.....check out the by-lines in the onlines / print ....same names will appear frequently ...because we're out there doing it all the time

32 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

But lives in a well known holiday town on the coast, with a university and a theatre. Still, he has to get out there and actually make the photos.

Archived