geogphotos

Fill yer boots......if that way inclined

Posted (edited)

I happened upon Pixabay. 

https://pixabay.com

Free images for commercial use and no attribution. Checking on their forum it is indeed within the rules for anybody to help themselves to these images even to sell them as stock. Though admittedly some think that only 'bad apples' would do so. 

I find this unbelievable that people just willingly give up their copyright and then moan about it. No, I will not be partaking.

Next it has to be that a bright 'start up' will be charging for the privilege of giving images away for free.

Edited by geogphotos

Dont know if it is the same source but I read a story a couple of years ago about a woman who used a picture sharing site and put up a couple of pictures of her brothers pug - shortly after she walked into a shop to find said pug looking back at her from bags towels coasters etc.  She tried to sue because the images were making thousands and discovered the small print of the site gave them copyright and she was not entitled to a penny (not sure how the legal challenge on property rights went). 

Read the small print people.

2 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Dont know if it is the same source but I read a story a couple of years ago about a woman who used a picture sharing site and put up a couple of pictures of her brothers pug - shortly after she walked into a shop to find said pug looking back at her from bags towels coasters etc.  She tried to sue because the images were making thousands and discovered the small print of the site gave them copyright and she was not entitled to a penny (not sure how the legal challenge on property rights went). 

Read the small print people.

Indeed! 

Posted (edited)

"Over 1.4 million royalty free stock photos and videos shared by our generous community."

It's easy to see why so many people now mistakenly think that "royalty free" actually means "totally free".

P.S Curious to see the "sponsored images" at the top of search results. I guess that's how Pixabay pays the bills.

Edited by John Mitchell

I have to admit I use images from that site.  Most really are not of the quality you can find on Alamy et al, but if someone is going to give it to me for free, why should I pay?

Jill

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have to admit I use images from that site.  Most really are not of the quality you can find on Alamy et al, but if someone is going to give it to me for free, why should I pay?

Jill

I think we should point out to people that there are costs to 'Free' and that the only ones that benefit are the businesses behind these models.

Do the owners of Pixabay work for free, or their web designers?

15 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

Why stop there? Why not take them all and sell them on stock photos sites? Their  licence allows it! 

Crazy what people will sign up to.

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

I think we should point out to people that there are costs to 'Free' and that the only ones that benefit are the businesses behind these models.

Do the owners of Pixabay work for free, or their web designers?

I stand on both sides of the fence.  But I run a business and image buying is expensive, and I do buy images, but just in my dog business there are 185 registered breeds of dogs, and generally to buy a commercial license from the top sites is going to cost me at least $100CDN minimum per image.  I run a business for profit, and I am not going to give away money I don't have too.  That is Business 101.  I do donate to some of that sites contributors, but certainly nowhere to what I would pay on Alamy or others.  And to most of the images, I have to do a lot of work on each one myself to make it usuable.  None of the images are vetted that I can tell, and many are out of focus, etc. and end up unusable after download.

I of course don't want anyone using my images for free, but I'm not daft enough to offer them.

Jill

• Upvote 2

I've been reading about Unsplash - another free photos business.

They raised $7.5 million to develop their business.

They claim something like several thousand image downloads EVERY SECOND. 

I  must be thick but how do they make their money? Why would somebody want to invest in this - where does the profit come from?

17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I've been reading about Unsplash - another free photos business.

They raised $7.5 million to develop their business.

They claim something like several thousand image downloads EVERY SECOND. 

I  must be thick but how do they make their money? Why would somebody want to invest in this - where does the profit come from?

Ian, I think you may find the answer in their Terms and conditions it will explain a lot on how they make their money,

Limited License to Us. You grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to host, store, transfer, display, adapt, perform, reproduce, modify, translate, and distribute your User Content (in whole or in part) in any media formats and through any media channels (now known or hereafter developed). You understand that we will not pay you for any use of your Photos and that your Photos will be made available to the public for their use without providing you attribution or compensation.

Mal

Just now, Mal Knight said:

Ian, I think you may find the answer in their Terms and conditions it will explain a lot on how they make their money,

Limited License to Us. You grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to host, store, transfer, display, adapt, perform, reproduce, modify, translate, and distribute your User Content (in whole or in part) in any media formats and through any media channels (now known or hereafter developed). You understand that we will not pay you for any use of your Photos and that your Photos will be made available to the public for their use without providing you attribution or compensation.

Mal

Thanks but how does that make them money since they don't make any charge for photos? 

44 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks but how does that make them money since they don't make any charge for photos? 

The free images are the bait. You are the catch product.

Your name and address when you register. Your views when you see the ads on their site. Leads conversion.

Google affiliate marketing.

wikipedia

webopedia

wim

44 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Your name and address when you register. Your views when you see the ads on their site. Leads conversion.

wikipedia

webopedia

wim

I don't see any advertising on the Unsplash site. 

Pleased to see no images/very few local to me - Ipswich, Colchester, Norwich

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Ian, maybe this is how they do it.

It's actually a happy accident that doesn't make money directly, but has become the #1 referral source to Crew (the company that built Unsplash). They wrote a great article telling their story: The ROI of side projects - Crew blog

Here are the cliff notes:

• Crew was running out of money. They had 3 months worth of cash flow, then they were out of business.
  • They couldn't find a good photo for the homepage of their website so they hired a photographer (what they found online was either too crapy, or too expensive)
  • Since they had a ton of leftovers, they put them up on a 19$ tumblr for free: "10 free photos every 10 days".
  • They posted a link to HackerNews.
  • That day they had tens of thousands of visitors, and it only kept building from there.
  • Unsplash brought them new customers and saved the business.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, geogphotos said:

They have "Macaque Monkey Selfie" image there despite the protests of David Slater.

https://pixabay.com/en/selfie-monkey-self-portrait-413162/

The site seems to be domiciled in Germany. They're skating on thin ice because whatever Wiki can get away with in the US, it's a slam-dunk infringement in the EU.

Edited by spacecadet

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The site seems to be domiciled in Germany. They're skating on thin ice because whatever Wiki can get away with in the US, it's a slam-dunk infringement in the EU.

Their argument is that there is no copyright in that image.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Their argument is that there is no copyright in that image.

In the US, the argument may hold water, but it doesn't here. The photograph is Slater's intellectual creation (re Infopaq) and that's compatible with our act. So, it's his copyright in the EU. The US act doesn't embody the principle.

Edited by spacecadet

17 minutes ago, Mal Knight said:

Ian, maybe this is how they do it.

It's actually a happy accident that doesn't make money directly, but has become the #1 referral source to Crew (the company that built Unsplash). They wrote a great article telling their story: The ROI of side projects - Crew blog

Here are the cliff notes:

• Crew was running out of money. They had 3 months worth of cash flow, then they were out of business.
  • They couldn't find a good photo for the homepage of their website so they hired a photographer (what they found online was either too crapy, or too expensive)
  • Since they had a ton of leftovers, they put them up on a 19$ tumblr for free: "10 free photos every 10 days".
  • They posted a link to HackerNews.
  • That day they had tens of thousands of visitors, and it only kept building from there.
  • Unsplash brought them new customers and saved the business.

Okay I am getting there. So Unsplash does not actually make money but it brings in referrals for Crew and makes them popular and famous. Crew makes money from whatever it does - web design and so on. 

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

In the US, the argument may hold water, but it doesn't here. The photograph is Slater's intellectual creation (re Infopaq) and that's compatible with our act. So, it's his copyright in the EU. The US act doesn't embody the principle.

Hopefully Slater will find out. 

Just now, geogphotos said:

Hopefully Slater will find out. 

Well, we're still the only EU member state with small claims for copyright, and we can still use the EU small claims process, so he may have to hurry up. The limit is €5000.

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wikipedia

webopedia

wim

Wim has it.

Furthermore there is an advantage for the site if the potential client cannot find a suitable image, because then the client keeps looking at view after view after view.

It reminds me of the 'designers' dirty little secret'.

I bet the web designers downloading these free pics continue to charge their clients for finding images.

It reminds me once again of these oh-so-clever designer internet types who consider photography as a crude raw material for their brilliance. 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Wim has it.

Furthermore there is an advantage for the site if the potential client cannot find a suitable image, because then the client keeps looking at view after view after view.

I must confess it's more about how Pixabay works than Unsplash. Actually I don't see all these ads and other annoyances any more, because I use an ad-blocker.

Mal nailed the why of Unsplash.

I have not looked at Unsplash recently. So let's go there for a moment. My ad-blocker is doing a Geiger counter. 66 blocked requests. Let's un-block Unsplash. Hmm Facebook? An adserver with just the pixel, but no banner? Those will probably work even better when you have registered. My malware blocker doesn't like the adserver and blocks it. Let's allow it for a moment. Hmm not a lot going on there.

So they may not be evil at all. It may really just an innocent but quite disruptive project. (We have discussed some of those here before. )

Oh well.

Let's all sing quietly along with her. And admire those great images by Callahan. Two giants in my universe.

wim

Posted (edited)

All IMHO and trust me I'm holding back...No wish to offend anyone, but good lovely people for the love of of all things good, think, don't be naive -- everything is money.

The Unsplash story is apparently a myth, to make them sounds sympathetic. Hell, my business would be toast without my earnings for three months - where is the sympathy for me?? Please don't be fools and believe the sob stories, they are made up justifications to do something fundamentally wrong without the guilt - spineless dishonesty is what it is. To a 99.8% extent (Martin's fact) there isn't anything worth having that is free. The other 0.02% is genuine kindness - a rare commodity in today's world, even rarer is our industry. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean that you are not paying or being taken advantage of, at the same time that you are doing a huge disservice to those that work hard to put bread on the table for themselves and their families.

The popularity of these sites show the demand. Demand is money, internet traffic is money, user bases are big money, user behaviour is money . A website with enormous traffic and loads of users can be sold for gazillions - the current business model doesn't have to be sound or profitable. These sites are disruptive and calculated, taking advantage of the ignorance of the people that submit to the glee of the people downloading, to the even bigger glee of the people owning it because they are sitting on a goldmine. 

So to the people submitting to these type of places and to those that download from it - congratulations you are helping yet another bunch of dishonest, spineless soon to be millionaires. 

Do people not think for themselves anymore? Here it is spelled out for you a bit;

Why Unsplash is Hurting Photographers (PetaPixel)

Unsplash is (Still) Bad for Photography (Photoshelter)

*you = the fools that fool themselves to thinking that using these sites in either capacity, as a contributor or consumer, is ok/supporting a good cause/doesn't hurt anyone/whatever BS reason that makes it ok.

Then for a real in-depth video on the subject.

Edited by Martin Carlsson
  • Upvote 1