Can anyone identify this plant please?  P21FYE

I have been searching for at least an hour.  I am sure it is v. common, Pembrokeshire Wales UK.

Thank you,

Kathy

I cant see an image just p21fye but it is not a link.

22 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I cant see an image just p21fye but it is not a link.

p21fye is the Alamy image ref. Paste into Alamy search engine and all will be relieved.

Joe

• Upvote 1

thanks for replies....as Joe says, paste code into Alamy search.....sorry I can't remember how to do a link.

Kathy

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Alexanders 'Smyrnium olusatrum'

It is found in coastal areas. But don't rely on me. 

Just to confirm, it's Alexanders. Frequent over here on my local North Norfolk coastal patch. Native in NW France, naturalised in Britain. It is said that the Romans ground the small black seeds to make a kind of pepper.

Jim. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kathy deWitt said:

Thank you Ian!  I think you are right.  And it is edible.

Kathy

I will add please be careful with identifying things as edible.  I have just discovered the umbellifer family (I love photography - it makes me learn things lol) where you have cow parsley which is edible looking almost identical to hemlock which is a touch on the deadly side - and the 2 can grow side by side.  I am actually kind of shocked that all these years I have been wandering around surrounded by a famous poison totally oblivious.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I will add please be careful with identifying things as edible.  I have just discovered the umbellifer family (I love photography - it makes me learn things lol) where you have cow parsley which is edible looking almost identical to hemlock which is a touch on the deadly side - and the 2 can grow side by side.  I am actually kind of shocked that all these years I have been wandering around surrounded by a famous poison totally oblivious.

Thank you for the warning Starsphinx.

This is where I obtained my information: http://www.wildfooduk.com/hedgerow-food-guide/alexanders-1-hedgerow/  

I think people would check in any case, before taking my word that a plant is edible.

Kathy

Yes, Smyrnium olusatrum, Alexanders.  Brought to the UK long before it was the UK and used as a food plant in monastery gardens.

• Upvote 1