Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Is there a way to indicate an "anti-keyword" for an image? That is to say, to set a search term that you have as a part of a keyword and you don't want your image to be find.

For example: I have many photos of a place called "La Mola", and everytime some client searches the term "Mola mola" (which is in fact a scientific name of a fish), many of my images appear, penalizing its CTR.

The solution for me would be that I could indicate in the AIM that those images don't get searched by "Mola mola", only by "Mola" or "La Mola". Maybe the "anti-keyword" should look like something like "NOT Mola mola".

I'm not sure if something like that could be done.

 

Thank you in advance and regards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't doable. I always think buyers must be annoyed by this sort of thing, but who knows?

The usual platitude is "we are all affected the same way". I have lots of this sort of search, almost every day I have some photos of wild, wet buffalos in a wallow being searched on for Wet'n'Wild. <rolls eyes>

I think it would be just about impossible to set anti-keywords - the system combines any word from the description or keywords, in any order, and contrary to what's stated, these can trump the actual search set in a phrase. For example, a photo of "Joe Bloggs" and "Jane Doe" may well be higher in a hypothetical search for Joe Doe or Jane Bloggs than those of the actual people.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply, Cryptoprocta.

I think it would be hard to materialize because of all the possibilities that it opens (as a Pandora box) but I am pretty sure it could be done programmatically taking.

I suppose it is, as you say, something we (and the clients, who suffer it more) have to deal with.

Thank you and regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I originally thought that by having multi-word tags would solve this problem, but recent emails from Alamy about keywording saying not to bother with duplication as "Golden Gate" will be found with both 'golden' and 'gate' suggests this is not the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I've got 102 views, 80 of them were searches for "mola mola" (the fish), which I don't have any :( 

At least, frustrating...for me and the clients (I suppose) :angry:

Multi-word should solve the problem as you say, Phil...but I'm afraid it doesn't, and that's why I "ask" for an anti-keyword.

 

Thank you for your reply and regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be worth you adding something in the 'suggestions' part of the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shearwater said:

Today I've got 102 views, 80 of them were searches for "mola mola" (the fish), which I don't have any :( 

At least, frustrating...for me and the clients (I suppose) :angry:

Multi-word should solve the problem as you say, Phil...but I'm afraid it doesn't, and that's why I "ask" for an anti-keyword.

 

Thank you for your reply and regards

mola mola without quotes returns over 4000 results, with quotes only 400. So phrasing is working pretty much as it should but it relies on the searcher using quotes.

Presumably you rank much higher in a search for "mola spain" or whatever. I'm not sure it's fixable, not perfectly anyway. If you could exclude the term you'd lose your La Mola results.

Most of us can point to a couple of our own tags or attributes that occasionally throw up a spammy result. My Christian name is Mark so I get them because it's also a word. Keeping your common short words to a minimum is probably all you can do.

 

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

It could be worth you adding something in the 'suggestions' part of the forum.

Yes, I have sent Alamy this suggestion through the Feedback button in the AIM.

 

Thank you for your reply and regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

mola mola without quotes returns over 4000 results, with quotes only 400. So phrasing is working pretty much as it should but it relies on the searcher using quotes.

Presumably you rank much higher in a search for "mola spain" or whatever. I'm not sure it's fixable, not perfectly anyway. If you could exclude the term you'd lose your La Mola results.

Most of us can point to a couple of our own tags or attributes that occasionally throw up a spammy result. My Christian name is Mark so I get them because it's also a word. Keeping your common short words to a minimum is probably all you can do.

 

I'm with you, spacecadet. Quotes search works as it should be.

Despite that, it still surprises me how many of my photos for mola mola (without quotes) searches are been viewed considering my first photo appears way down in the second page.

You are right I would loose some results if the search is mola mola, but I would like to avoid only the quoted term ("Mola mola"), which in fact isn't a perfect solution too.

I know the solution, if there is one, is not trivial and would have many collateral effects.

As you say, I suppose all of us are facing this kind of spam on a regular basis.

Maybe I'm whining a little bit here, and I should be uploading more photos finely keyworded and worrying less in the views.

 

Thank you for your comments and regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shearwater said:

Maybe I'm whining a little bit here, and I should be uploading more photos finely keyworded and worrying less in the views.

 

Thank you for your comments and regards

Not "whining", certainly not, just wondering if there's a fix. There are some, but they're imperfect. What is odd is that some of the stray results for "mola mola" don't seem to contain the word twice, which no doubt yours do, having it in the caption and the tags as recommended.

The second part of the sentence I do agree with.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Not "whining", certainly not, just wondering if there's a fix. There are some, but they're imperfect. What is odd is that some of the stray results for "mola mola" don't seem to contain the word twice, which no doubt yours do, having it in the caption and the tags as recommended.

The second part of the sentence I do agree with.

 

Mystery of algorithms ;)

Thank you and regards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you discover what search terms clients are using? I only know how to find the number of views, not the search terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Janis D said:

How do you discover what search terms clients are using? I only know how to find the number of views, not the search terms.

under your views in Alamy Measures you will see "Your images" or "All of Alamy"...one will bring you to your data, the other for all the data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.