JeffGreenberg

getting laptop image look to match online image look

Use (2) laptops to process.

Both subjected to regular Pantone color-brightness balancing.
(maybe older-newer versions of Pantone)

a. newer P40 Yoga ThinkPad images look nearly identical to what they end up looking like online

b. older W520 ThinkPad images look ~1.5 stops lighter & noticeably less contrasty

To make (b) look more like online I've cut screen brightness via laptop slider but of course that dulls everything equally.

Any way in (b) CS6E to give all images (1 stop decrease + increased contrast) in screen-changing way, not processing way...?

2 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Use (2) laptops to process.

Both subjected to regular Pantone color-brightness balancing.
(maybe older-newer versions of Pantone)

a. newer P40 Yoga ThinkPad images look nearly identical to what they end up looking like online

b. older W520 ThinkPad images look ~1.5 stops lighter & noticeably less contrasty

To make (b) look more like online I've cut screen brightness via laptop slider but of course that dulls everything equally.

Any way in (b) CS6E to give all images (1 stop decrease + increased contrast) in screen-changing way, not processing way...?

It could be that the colour profile on the ThinkPad isn't interpreted correctly by Windows on that Laptop. I seem to recall Windows only correctly interprets Version 2 ICC profiles. If you generate a Version 4 profile Windows displays images too light.

Mark

How does one know if one has Version 2 ???

If not, how does one switch to it?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

How does one know if one has Version 2 ???

If not, how does one switch to it?

One way to tell which version ICC you have is to use an ICC Inspector app, e.g. http://www.color.org/profileinspector.xalter. You may need to use Windows Start>Color Management to see which profile is in use so you know which of the many ICC profiles on your PC is in use. 

In my monitor calibration software I have the option of generating a Version 2 or Version 4 profile. If I choose Version 4 on Windows 7 then images display incorrectly in Windows (e.g. image preview) , but will be OK in Photoshop. Google ICC V2 vs V4. I don't know of a way to convert a V2 profile to V4. If the V4 profile is your problem then you may need to generate a new one using V2 in your calibration software or you could try temporarily swapping your laptop to use a default sRGB profile to see what happens.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman