geogphotos

Alamy partnering with a printing company?

Posted (edited)

I mentioned the idea in an other thread.

Alamy partner a print company so that images licences can be ordered and delivered as finished print products without the need for the image to actually be released.

Postcards, giftcards, calendars, canvas prints, mugs and and the rest. Alamy would do the processing of the image licence sale and then release the image to the printer for fulfilment.

The printing company would have their own website with all the details/order process etc and be able offer highly competitive pricing because of volume.

A choice of 150 million images to make your own gifts, fund-raising merchandise, and print products to sell.

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I mentioned the idea in an other thread.

Alamy partner a print company so that images licences can be ordered and delivered as finished print products without the need for the image to actually be released.

Postcards, giftcards, calendars, canvas prints, mugs and and the rest. Alamy would do the processing of the image licence sale and then release the image to the printer for fulfilment.

The printing company would have their own website with all the details/order process etc and be able offer highly competitive pricing because of volume.

A choice of 150 million images to make your own gifts, fund-raising merchandise, and print products to sell.

I thought they already had... although I think they only offers prints (not mugs, calendars etc)

See https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/alamy-photo-prints-art-com.aspx

Or have I misunderstood?

Mark

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I thought they already had... although I think they only offers prints (not mugs, calendars etc)

See https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/alamy-photo-prints-art-com.aspx

Or have I misunderstood?

Mark

I was thinking about an extension of this sort of thing. So, for example, a village could order a set of 1000 postcards of their church to sell for fundraising. Or a local entrepreneur could get a selection of postcards and other print products to sell through the local shops and pubs and aim to make some profit. They don't get given the actual file, they place an order.

Harness the energy of communities and small entrepreneurs to boost Alamy image sales while keeping the image files 'safe'. Encourage business start-ups to use Alamy pics but keep control of the process. 

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I was thinking about an extension of this sort of thing. So, for example, a village could order a set of 1000 postcards of their church to sell for fundraising. Or a local entrepreneur could get a selection of postcards and other print products to sell through the local shops and pubs and aim to make some profit. They don't get given the actual file, they place an order.

Harness the energy of communities and small entrepreneurs to boost Alamy image sales while keeping the image files 'safe'. Encourage business start-ups to use Alamy pics but keep control of the process. 

I've got a selection of images on a well known American "product on demand" art website that now has "fulfilment centres" in UK and Europe. It offers everything from canvas and framed prints through to mugs, mobile phone cases, bags, cushions etc. But sales have been disappointing (one canvas print in 4 years). I wonder if many folks only want one of their own pictures the "giftware" style products (and you can get those in Boots).  Nevertheless I will be uploading some more there shortly as there's no additional cost to me.

I think improving control of image data would be great. e.g. Restricting the size of image the customer can download according to the usage/fee would be a good start. More pixels = higher fee.

Mark

42 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I've got a selection of images on a well known American "product on demand" art website that now has "fulfilment centres" in UK and Europe. It offers everything from canvas and framed prints through to mugs, mobile phone cases, bags, cushions etc. But sales have been disappointing (one canvas print in 4 years). I wonder if many folks only want one of their own pictures the "giftware" style products (and you can get those in Boots).  Nevertheless I will be uploading some more there shortly as there's no additional cost to me.

I think improving control of image data would be great. e.g. Restricting the size of image the customer can download according to the usage/fee would be a good start. More pixels = higher fee.

Mark

Have you done any marketing directed at people who might be interested in these pictures?

Not that I have done it myself but that must be the key - the sales site is just the platform. 

On 5/25/2018 at 08:26, geogphotos said:

Have you done any marketing directed at people who might be interested in these pictures?

Not that I have done it myself but that must be the key - the sales site is just the platform. 

I've done virtually no marketing. But the site allows general searches by subject matter across all contributors, as well as allowing viewing of a single contributor's images and the site and its images appear high in Google search results. I get more clicked views/image (like an Alamy zoom) than I get on Alamy, but the sales are much worse. I'm sure more marketing would help, but it's the taking of photos and editing them I like doing :). I deliberately have no social media presence and no website of my own.

Mark

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I've done virtually no marketing. But the site allows general searches by subject matter across all contributors, as well as allowing viewing of a single contributor's images and the site and its images appear high in Google search results. I get more clicked views/image (like an Alamy zoom) than I get on Alamy, but the sales are much worse. I'm sure more marketing would help, but it's the taking of photos and editing them I like doing :). I deliberately have no social media presence and no website of my own.

Mark

I'm the same as you, had the odd sale but not ever put any effort at all into marketing. I think that you probably have to do if you want to get serious about selling prints. Also like you I tend to 'retreat' to the photography because I don't enjoy or feel any good at marketing. 

But I do think that Alamy ought to get out there and advertise in the consumer market - it has such an amazing variety and depth of images that could have mass appeal across so many sections of interest. My perception, rightly or wrongly, is that Alamy also prefers the photography and software side of things to marketing!

I'm not sure that the 'If you build it they will come' approach actually works though!

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wasn't that part of what Novel Use was about? Printing images on mugs etc. And people voted with their feet by opting out.

One element of printing on products (although maybe not actual art prints) is that there is a limitation in the mark up before the customer stops looking. At my main POD's I have 20-25% and that is higher than many other creators. This means small amounts of commission. For example, this morning I had a sale of a sticker. My share at 25% is 26 cents. Put an agent in between and then the creator gets 13 cents and angry posts on forums (e.g. Costco at G), put another agent in the way and angry exchanges on the phone. The amounts I saw on my big G statement for POD sales were insignificant to the point that I tried to ignore them. If Alamy were to do it I would suggest they co-operate with a POD selling higher value products, duvet covers, pull down blinds, rugs. Then the commission cut would be more acceptable.

With regard organisations buying bulk to sell on there is the suspicion on POD forums that consumers buy one and then pop down to the printer to get them copied. It can be argued that people could buy one invitation to check it out. But many have seen a lot of invitations being sold individually, and not many people only invite one person to their wedding. (Maybe for the person they are hoping to wed - a novel formal proposal.) 

I have noticed in my work with POD's is that it is rarely photos that sell but drawings, but that may be down to me. I just yesterday cancelled my subscription to the pay to play one often quoted.

Posted (edited)

I think the other issue with adding prints is that it might take away from Alamy's reputation as a photo agency, and specifically as an editorial photo agency. It shouldn't become a version of Flickr with a QC process. You wouldn't expect, for example, G**** to offer personalised mugs and postcards. So the best way to do it is probably via another website or service, that just happens to use Alamy images, with the usual opt-in/opt-out option.

Also bear in mind that selling prints can have legal ramifications when you're dealing with people and property. Some argue that, in some territories, selling a small run of personal prints is fine, whereas selling them en masse without a release or license to do so is not. So you might find it quite restricted anyway.

Edited by Katie

Posted (edited)

Interesting points. Really all I am thinking about is that the 'traditional'' stock photography market is fairly well saturated with price wars between the top two driving fees down to the ground. 

Alamy has such an encyclopaedic collection that there is the potential to appeal to a wider market of consumers.

Each village pub, church, minor tourist attraction could potentially want to buy postcards to sell or for publicity. And instead of releasing the actual files get a printer to deliver each order through some sort of link system from Alamy.

I think we would expect the per unit margins to be fairly small but that doesn't bother me when we see what multimillion media corporations are able to get images for in their newspapers and magazines. 

PS) I was one of the few who was supportive of Novel Use. I think it part and parcel of RM that the fee is low for a very small use.

Edited by geogphotos

4 hours ago, Katie said:

I think the other issue with adding prints is that it might take away from Alamy's reputation as a photo agency, and specifically as an editorial photo agency. It shouldn't become a version of Flickr with a QC process. You wouldn't expect, for example, G**** to offer personalised mugs and postcards. So the best way to do it is probably via another website or service, that just happens to use Alamy images, with the usual opt-in/opt-out option.

Also bear in mind that selling prints can have legal ramifications when you're dealing with people and property. Some argue that, in some territories, selling a small run of personal prints is fine, whereas selling them en masse without a release or license to do so is not. So you might find it quite restricted anyway.

This is what G does already, with out the in/out option. You can get prints of G images through a couple of POD's, and I have an idea that they own or have a shareholding in one or more. Cafe Press (mugs etc.) sales appeared on my G statement for a while. I stopped working direct with CP when they changed the artist markup down to 10%. Once G take their cut it is fractions of fractions, more likely to illicit the sweary-mary's than hoera's. And a reason not to put non-exclusive imagery I have on POD's with G as it would be shooting myself in the foot. I also have the feeling it hasn;t been an overwhelming success for G.

With regards Alamy selling prints, I am sure I read a thread that Alamy already partnered a photo lab in the UK and did this for wall art. 

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Interesting points. Really all I am thinking about is that the 'traditional'' stock photography market is fairly well saturated with price wars between the top two driving fees down to the ground. 

Alamy has such an encyclopaedic collection that there is the potential to appeal to a wider market of consumers.

The price wars are there in the world of POD's. One POD I work with ranks with an eye to artist mark-up encouraging a race to the bottom amongst contributors. The same POD also put prices up 5% then asked contributors to cut their markups by the same with the argument that the increased sales would make up for the reduction. Some did, others did a calculation and worked out how much more they would need to sell to make up the shortfall and concluded it was unlikely. 

Market saturation is equally applicable in the world world of crowd-sourced POD's. And many of the lures and promises of avarices beyond the dreams of Rich too.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Market saturation is equally applicable in the world world of crowd-sourced POD's. And many of the lures and promises of avarices beyond the dreams of Rich too.

I can't think that any of these sites have the depth of subject coverage that Alamy has almost of every village in the UK. 

Don't most of them have the pretence that they are offering 'art'?

Edited by geogphotos

Posted (edited)

Here's one I found at random:

I0000Wq8BCgy0h8s.jpg

So licence your image at Alamy, ( the fee between £10 -£50 will depend on your intended print run), it will appear here on our site for you to finish your design choices and order. 

Edited by geogphotos