Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Russell said:

In your case Elena, the answer is time ... just time. You have some good images, but remember many publications do not report their usage until months after the publication date. Alamy is a long game, but I think you'll make it.

 

Exactly the point I was going to make. It seems that the vast majority of 'new' contributors here (mostly from a MS background) do not understand the necessity of patience when placing photos with Alamy.  Your images have me dribbling, Elena :); keep uploading and you will start to have regular sales soon enough, but 4 months is no time at all here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Russell said:

In your case Elena, the answer is time ... just time. You have some good images, but remember many publications do not report their usage until months after the publication date. Alamy is a long game, but I think you'll make it.

 

Thank you for your prompt answer.  That explains everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, losdemas said:

keep uploading and you will start to have regular sales soon enough, but 4 months is no time at all here!

 

Thanks, I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

Same here, I started at Alamy this January,  I am an experienced photostocker and food photographer.

I already uploaded  over 3000 images  but still no sales. What could be wrong?

 

 

 

I find it hard to understand why you haven't yet had any sales. You have an excellent portfolio with good quality images + for the most part good key wording.

Are you getting views and zooms?. As a new contributor your rank is probably around average, so it may take a while for your images to climb higher in the searches.

I don't think it will be long before sales start to appear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BobD said:

 

I find it hard to understand why you haven't yet had any sales. You have an excellent portfolio with good quality images + for the most part good key wording.

Are you getting views and zooms?. As a new contributor your rank is probably around average, so it may take a while for your images to climb higher in the searches.

I don't think it will be long before sales start to appear.

 

I've got around 2000 views and 8 zooms since January. Average CTR is 0.42.

Don't know whether this is good or bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

I've got around 2000 views and 8 zooms since January. Average CTR is 0.42.

Don't know whether this is good or bad.

 

This is lower than average and would suggest to me that you may be over key wording ( I am sure others will have a different opinion ).

Make sure you key words are completely relevant to the image.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BobD said:

 

This is lower than average and would suggest to me that you may be over key wording ( I am sure others will have a different opinion ).

Make sure you key words are completely relevant to the image.

 

 

Keywords should be ok as all those files with the same keywords were previously tested on another microstocks and generated quite a nice sales.

Maybe the trouble is that I uploaded all of them in one shot?

Some sites "prefer" to see the regular activity of the contributor.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

Keywords should be ok as all those files with the same keywords were previously tested on another microstocks and generated quite a nice sales.

Maybe the trouble is that I uploaded all of them in one shot?

Some sites "prefer" to see the regular activity of the contributor.

 

 

 

 

Are they all still on MS sites?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am no expert on MS but AFAIK they won't punish you for irrelevant search terms.

I took a look at your image of chocolate cakes on the first row of your images. 

Examples of what words that I ( and I stress this is just my opinion) would think carefully about.

Black, melting, molten, cream, ingredient, recipe, syrup.

I don't think anyone searching for an image like that would regularly use any of those words and may hurt your ctr.

for example a search for 'black cat' may well throw up your image. 'molten lava' could likely show your image especially as you have 'lava' as a key word too. 

As I said before this is just my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobD said:

I am no expert on MS but AFAIK they won't punish you for irrelevant search terms.

I took a look at your image of chocolate cakes on the first row of your images. 

Examples of what words that I ( and I stress this is just my opinion) would think carefully about.

Black, melting, molten, cream, ingredient, recipe, syrup.

I don't think anyone searching for an image like that would regularly use any of those words and may hurt your ctr.

for example a search for 'black cat' may well throw up your image. 'molten lava' could likely show your image especially as you have 'lava' as a key word too. 

As I said before this is just my opinion.

 

 

 

Thank you for your opinion, it may be worth it to re-keyword at least most of the best sellers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

 

Yes,  they are.

GIS search results show your images on MS sites. None that I can find show on Alamy. Your customers are a right-click away from paying pennies for your images instead of pounds. Why would they buy here?

You are competing with yourself.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Then why would anyone pay pounds here when they can get the same images for pennies on MS? GIS search results show your images on MS ahead Alamy. You are competing with yourself.

 

That may be the case, thanks.

I would do a special release for Alamy exclusively to check that version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

Keywords should be ok as all those files with the same keywords were previously tested on another microstocks and generated quite a nice sales.

I looked at M93H7RI  at random

You have called it toffee cubes. This isn't toffee, it's fudge.

These keywords are all totally irrelevant: background, butter, caramel, cream, cream caramel, celebration, cupcake, dessert, ingredient, kitchen, meal, party, powder, sugar, syrup, toffee.

You should only keyword what you can see in the image.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

These keywords are all totally irrelevant: background, butter, caramel, cream, cream caramel, celebration, cupcake, dessert, ingredient, kitchen, meal, party, powder, sugar, syrup, toffee.

You should only keyword what you can see in the image.

 

 

Well, this is a common practice for the food-stockers when you describe food ingredients in the keywords.

 

 

Edited by Elena Zajchikova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also image M93H57. These biscuits are called Jammie / Jammy Dodgers.

These keywords are irrelevant to this image: background, bakery, cake, cracker, cream*, dessert, fat, marmalade,

*I see you say the filling is cream. Fair enough if so, but it's usually vanilla icing paste.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

Well, this is a common practice for the food-stockers when you describe food ingredients in the keywords.

 

Doesn't make it right, and is very much frowned upon in the only micro of which I have experience.

 

However, there are still lots which are nothing to do with ingredients.

If a buyer searches on 'butter' or 'sugar', do they really want to see fudge?

Edited by Cryptoprocta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cryptoprocta said:

Doesn't make it right.

However, there are lots which are nothing to do with ingredients.

If a buyer searches on 'butter' or 'sugar', do they really want to see fudge?

 

Ok, I see, thanks. I would put re-keywording to my todo list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference here seems to be that CTR is a factor. In lots of agencies, especially dedicated news agencies, the most recent matching images are returned first, so you can keyword quite liberally because it won't harm you if it's irrelevant (although I doubt it does the reputation of the agency much good, if they're frustrating to search the database of, and often the photo desk will cull your keywords entirely if you've obviously overdone it, and some don't have keywords at all).

 

Here, though, CTR and irrelevant results actively harm you, making your images less prominent if people don't click on them often. It probably doesn't harm the people with specialist collections, those doing lots of flowers and species for example, because any search for those subjects is always going be on-topic, but if you're shooting more generic stuff or news I can't imagine it's easy to keep a good CTR up. I'm struggling with it myself on my images, trying to weigh adding realistic keywords against the possibility of dragging my CTR down with unwanted results.

 

The interesting thing about it all is that Alamy simultaneously punishes people for having too many bad keywords, while also featuring an arbitrary discoverability rating that encourages overkeywording. Some subjects are easy to genuinely reach 50 keywords on, but I suspect some people are trying to get "good discoverability" at the expense of their CTR, when discoverability isn't a factor in search prominence at all.

 

I'd be interested in what sort of CTR the really prolific news and event type uploaders have. Surely they get lots and lots of false positives from keywording and from the words of the longer captions, but they still seem to sell. I guess maybe CTR matters less in certain subject areas, and it obviously doesn't affect live news either, but I guess that if you're shooting subjects that are heavily represented (or concepts, or generic type images) then CTR is your most important asset.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a couple of years here I did a serious keyword cull and saw my views drop by a third. They're now about half what they used to be, around 0.6/image/month, and it doesn't vary much.

Sales are much better of course and I've keyworded pretty tightly since then. The new AIM encourages even tighter tagging. 35 is a lot for me nowadays, but of course it includes phrases so it's not directly comparable with the old system.

I get the impression Alamy is faintly embarrassed at the whole idea of discoverability, since most contributors ignore it, and Alamy has effectively said it doesn't matter anyway.

Incidentally, I ignore CTR as well.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I get the impression Alamy is faintly embarrassed at the whole idea of discoverability, since most contributors ignore it, and Alamy has effectively said it doesn't matter anyway.

Incidentally, I ignore CTR as well.

 

I found this also a bit confusing.

I spent a bit time and tweaked some of the images to be "optimized" but it makes no difference still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

I found this also a bit confusing.

I spent a bit time and tweaked some of the images to be "optimized" but it makes no difference still.

Ignore it, it was a very bad idea.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

 

Yes,  they are.

 

 

And you are surprised you have no or little sales on here?

 

Think about it ............

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.