Recommended Posts

There's 134 million photos available on Alamy, 20 images is a tiny fraction of the total. Upload several thousand of attractive photos with excellent keywording and you will have  better chance of success. There's no easy way, no magic bullet, it's getting harder all the while....

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may sound harsh, but...

  • Take a look at the images sold threads and look at what has sold and why
  • Revisit your captions - this is not a blog, buyers are not interested in your personal life
  • Likewise, work hard at your tags: no buyer is concerned about which camera you used and...
  • Follow Bryan's advice above
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patience, regular quality uploads and good captioning and keywording are the key. The sales will come, but it's going to be a long investment in time and effort.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James Lupson said:

I can't seem to get any sales, how can I start to get sales?

 

James, that's the question you ask after uploading just 20 images in the past year? Inactivity just won't cut it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, James Lupson said:

I can't seem to get any sales, how can I start to get sales?

I have enough trouble getting sales with my 5,000 images competing with millions!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

James, that's the question you ask after uploading just 20 images in the past year? Inactivity just won't cut it. 

Sorry, but I must disagree, I am not inactive, astrophotography takes a long time to plan out and is dependant on location, time of year, and weather, and living in London doesn't cut it. I might not have uploaded lots of photos in a year, but I have most certainly not been inactive. Is there any way I am able to see how many people are seeing my images, so I know if it is a matter of people seeing my images or wanting to buy my photos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, James Lupson said:

 Is there any way I am able to see how many people are seeing my images, so I know if it is a matter of people seeing my images or wanting to buy my photos?

On your dashboard, go to Alamy Measures/Your images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, James Lupson said:

Sorry, but I must disagree, I am not inactive, astrophotography takes a long time to plan out and is dependant on location, time of year, and weather, and living in London doesn't cut it. I might not have uploaded lots of photos in a year, but I have most certainly not been inactive. Is there any way I am able to see how many people are seeing my images, so I know if it is a matter of people seeing my images or wanting to buy my photos?

I think you have misinterpreted the word inactive, which clearly and simply meant inactivity uploading photos. If you go to your dashboard and click on Alamy Measures/Your Images you will find a wealth of information about searches and zooms. T took me a while to realise that this was there, so I’m not surprised you haven’t seen it.

See the other thread about how big portfolios were when first sales occurred. And, if you have a very specific niche of astrophotography, then a relative lack of diversity many mean few sales even with a large portfolio.

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, losdemas said:

This may sound harsh, but...

  • Take a look at the images sold threads and look at what has sold and why
  • Revisit your captions - this is not a blog, buyers are not interested in your personal life
  • Likewise, work hard at your tags: no buyer is concerned about which camera you used and...
  • Follow Bryan's advice above

+1

In approximate terms here, one sale per month per thousand images. You're a long way from making a sale I'm afraid.

Plus...  there are 27,251 pictures here on Alamy of the Taj Mahal, you need to make yours stand out, with composition, post processing and great captions/key words.
"The stunning Taj Mahal in Agra, the heart of India. We spent a few weeks working with Seva Mandir, and just had to stop at the Taj Mahal on the way" 
As Danny points out, no-one cares about your trip to India, think like a buyer, not like a blogger.

 

47 minutes ago, James Lupson said:

Sorry, but I must disagree, I am not inactive, astrophotography takes a long time to plan out and is dependant on location, time of year, and weather, and living in London doesn't cut it. I might not have uploaded lots of photos in a year, but I have most certainly not been inactive. Is there any way I am able to see how many people are seeing my images, so I know if it is a matter of people seeing my images or wanting to buy my photos?

On the upside, if your main interest is astrophotography, you may find a handy niche that'll serve you well.
On the downside, if it takes that long to pop up one image, again, you're a long,long way from a sale...

Edited by TeeCee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, James Lupson said:

Sorry, but I must disagree, I am not inactive, astrophotography takes a long time to plan out and is dependant on location, time of year, and weather, and living in London doesn't cut it. I might not have uploaded lots of photos in a year, but I have most certainly not been inactive. Is there any way I am able to see how many people are seeing my images, so I know if it is a matter of people seeing my images or wanting to buy my photos?

How could anyone know from your port that you do astrophotography?

 

NB all the above advice is sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, James Lupson said:

I can't seem to get any sales, how can I start to get sales?

adding 3 0's where it says Images: 23

or 2 0's if you start captioning your images correctly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More images - best of subjects with less images on Alamy. Also find a niche. Use the "Alamy Measures" - "Your images" to see your own results - and "All of Alamy" to see what has been searched for. Try f.inst. using the % with no space before a city, subject, interest, etc. and see if this has been searched recently.This may even give ideas to more appropriate key words.

 

Keywording is your friend - and not so easy as it looks. 

 

You have excellent images from India, especially the ones with people in. Some kind of job or student exchange? Better keywording and caption would help you. Remember the caption is also searchable. Instead of "we" perhaps use "exchange students", "exchange teachers" or whatever. In this case perhaps also think of what the journalist, writer dealing with the subject would search for if not the cold facts. In case you want to elaborate or tell more of a story, use the description field in "Optional", "Additional info", this field is not searchable.

 

You will need to get some views, zooms and eventually sales to move your images up front.

 

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And your image of Camden market, shows an image of a 'woman serving chinese food from a fast food stall on the busy camden market' If you like :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took 1 year and 2 months and over 600 uploads to get my first sale. Keep uploading. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

And this is your competition for astrophotography.

And it gets worse, only 1 UCO for an entire year using the search term %astrophotography% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought, you could try meteor showers, I have a few live news images that pop up in a search once in a while (never sold any though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2018 at 10:20, Niels Quist said:

More images - best of subjects with less images on Alamy. Also find a niche. Use the "Alamy Measures" - "Your images" to see your own results - and "All of Alamy" to see what has been searched for. Try f.inst. using the % with no space before a city, subject, interest, etc. and see if this has been searched recently.This may even give ideas to more appropriate key words.

 

Keywording is your friend - and not so easy as it looks. 

 

You have excellent images from India, especially the ones with people in. Some kind of job or student exchange? Better keywording and caption would help you. Remember the caption is also searchable. Instead of "we" perhaps use "exchange students", "exchange teachers" or whatever. In this case perhaps also think of what the journalist, writer dealing with the subject would search for if not the cold facts. In case you want to elaborate or tell more of a story, use the description field in "Optional", "Additional info", this field is not searchable.

 

You will need to get some views, zooms and eventually sales to move your images up front.

 

Niels

Thank you for the advice, I'm glad you like them! I'll be sure to do that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, James Lupson said:

Thank you for the advice, I'm glad you like them! I'll be sure to do that!

 

- great - and now we are at it, I know many here only write the absolute minimum of keywords, but I can easily reach the fifty keywords for some images. I want to use any relevant keyword that I could imagine might be used in a search - either for a strictly narrow  or a wider intellectual use of the image in articles, books, etc. We don't really know what idea the writer / editor has in his/her brain. And also add US as well as British spelling for the common words - and all forms and even some misspellings of the words that are often misspelled. You could pair a few keywords in one tag.

 

Sticking to the above mentioned type of images:

 

example of more keywords and grouping of the keywords in the same tag: act, acts   -   kindness selflessness  -   job, jobs - international exchange -  program, programs, programme, programmes

 

Just rack your brains - and very important: go through the keywords and remove the ones you find irrelevant -  also done after a while. I often do this after a sale - or  after using the "Alamy Measures" "All of Alamy".

 

This ever ongoing job, that can be very interesting, educating - and even rewarding,  will probably be easier for you as a native speaker of English than it is for a Viking.

 

Good luck :)

 

Niels

 

PS: Last hint - this will be valuable to you: https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/9528-how-best-to-keyword-age-ranges/?tab=comments#comment-170369

 

Edited by Niels Quist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your keywords are awful, that's going to kill your rank..

Your taj  Mahal photo with Udaipur, Jaipur, Rajasthan, Poverty, kids, portrait, wildfile and so on as keywords... You not going to see sales soon...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 15:08, James Lupson said:

I can't seem to get any sales, how can I start to get sales?

 

Same here, I started at Alamy this January,  I am an experienced photostocker and food photographer.

I already uploaded  over 3000 images  but still no sales. What could be wrong?

 

 

Edited by Elena Zajchikova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Elena Zajchikova said:

 

Same here, I started at Alamy this January,  I am an experienced photostocker and food photographer.

I already uploaded  over 3000 images  but still no sales. What could be wrong?

 

 

You have a specialist collection. Alamy is a general agency. So your results here may be limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your case Elena, the answer is time ... just time. You have some good images, but remember many publications do not report their usage until months after the publication date. Alamy is a long game, but I think you'll make it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now