These images have no Supertags at all to start with having just passed QC.

This is what positions they occupy for keywords searching both RF and RM:

Orbital Swindon - slot 10 ( 2 tags)

Footasylum - slot 13

White Stuff - slot 32 ( 1 tag)

Now I have changed those tags to Supertags. I'll report back what the positions are tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

These images have no Supertags at all to start with having just passed QC.

This is what positions they occupy for keywords searching both RF and RM:

Orbital Swindon - slot 10 ( 2 tags)

Footasylum - slot 13

White Stuff - slot 32 ( 1 tag)

Now I have changed those tags to Supertags. I'll report back what the positions are tomorrow

For what it's worth - I confirm I'm seeing images of yours in the same slots as you do.:) 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

6 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

For what it's worth - I confirm I'm seeing images of yours in the same slots as you do.:) 

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'll post tomorrow. This is what I have: 

I0000Z9SsaPhqxDo.jpg

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks Mark. I'll post tomorrow. This is what I have: 

I0000Z9SsaPhqxDo.jpg

Presumably you've left your the tags of your other images of Swindon Orbital alone? I see that 10 of the 28 images of Swindon orbital are yours and the first one (MHJDP6) is already in slot 2. Does MHJDP6 already have Swindon and Orbital as supertags?

Tests I've done (by changing captions and tags on a single image) show that supertags appear to be given have a higher weighting than captions which are given have a higher rating than tags. This is, I believe, how it's supposed to be. But there are other factors that affect image position.

I'm in discussion with Alamy at the moment about one of my images that beats (appears in higher slot) than all my other images of a particular subject, almost irrespective of what I do to its caption, supertags and tags.  It's an image that hasn't been zoomed (according to My Alamy Measures*) or sold. But others image of mine that appear in lower slots have been. The images were taken and uploaded at the same time. For some reason this image seems to be receiving some extra "Alamy magic sauce". *Maybe Alamy log all zooms, whereas I can only see those made by selected customer accounts and this affects image position? Mmm.... now there's a thought....

Mark

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I'm in discussion with Alamy at the moment about one of my images that beats (appears in higher slot) than all my other images of a particular subject, almost irrespective of what I do to its caption, supertags and tags.  It's an image that hasn't been zoomed (according to My Alamy Measures*) or sold. But others image of mine that appear in lower slots have been. The images were taken and uploaded at the same time. For some reason this image seems to be receiving some extra "Alamy magic sauce". *Maybe Alamy log all zooms, whereas I can only see those made by selected customer accounts and this affects image position? Mmm.... now there's a thought....

Mark

I'm seeing some of that too. Could there be a negative sauce for images that have sold many times?

wim

10 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Presumably you've left your the tags of your other images of Swindon Orbital alone? I see that 10 of the 28 images of Swindon orbital are yours and the first one (MHJDP6) is already in slot 2. Does MHJDP6 already have Swindon and Orbital as supertags?

I only added Supertags to this one image so that the effect could be compared with the others that don't. I chose this one specifically because it wasn't in the highest position for my images for 'Orbital Swindon'.

When I was doing my testing I also added a new unique keyword (e.g. MyTest11) after every change, so I could be sure the search database had updated by doing a regular Alamy search from my new keyword. Usually that was overnight but sometimes it was late afternoon before the update happened.

Mark

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

When I was doing my testing I also added a new unique keyword (e.g. MyTest11) after every change, so I could be sure the search database had updated by doing a regular Alamy search from my new keyword. Usually that was overnight but sometimes it was late afternoon before the update happened.

Mark

Lots of weird stuff seems to be happening this morning with Alamy.....

ian murray (59,130) but 59,395 under my forum name - a partial update? 

Edited by geogphotos

Posted (edited)

Orbital Swindon - slot 10 ( 2 tags) has gone to slot 1

Footasylum - slot 13 has gone to slot 7

White Stuff - slot 32 ( 1 tag) - has not changed, maybe something went wrong, will check tomorrow.

Now going to move Footasylum image to my top pseudo. Other two will stay in lower pseudo. 

Edited by geogphotos

Thanks for nailing it. I'm glad I ignored the scare about supertag insignificance.

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Thanks for nailing it. I'm glad I ignored the scare about supertag insignificance.

It means that I have a lot of work to do!! I think I will just do it for my top pseudo so that those images get a double shot of Alamy magic, and will purposely leave the others to languish.

Have chosen my lowest place 'Orbital Swindon' image MHJDJE - in slot 24/28 overall, and 10/10 for my own images.

Have added Supertag 'Orbital Swindon' - slot 24 ( one tag) to see if it is more powerful than 'Orbital, Swindon' ( 2 tags)

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It means that I have a lot of work to do!! I think I will just do it for my top pseudo so that those images get a double shot of Alamy magic, and will purposely leave the others to languish.

Ooh. I see what you mean. Legacy work. Not too bad fortunately and still selling.

At least if they're coming up in my measures the supers can't be too bad even if they're not getting zoomed. Must be the pix, can't do much about that.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Orbital Swindon - slot 10 ( 2 tags) has gone to slot 1

White Stuff - slot 32 ( 1 tag) - has not changed, maybe something went wrong, will check tomorrow.

Now going to move Footasylum image to my top pseudo. Other two will stay in lower pseudo. 

Silly question (I'm a bit slow this morning).. when you say 'slot' do you mean position within the first page of results? Or do you mean page of results?

4 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Silly question (I'm a bit slow this morning).. when you say 'slot' do you mean position within the first page of results? Or do you mean page of results?

Yes, thumbnail position in the search. For 'Orbital Swindon' there are only 28 pics on Alamy. ( so far :))

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Yes, thumbnail position in the search. For 'Orbital Swindon' there are only 28 pics on Alamy. ( so far :))

Gotcha.. clear now!

Posted (edited)

Have chosen my lowest place 'Orbital Swindon' image MHJDJE - in slot 24/28 overall, and 10/10 for my own images.

Have added Supertag 'Orbital Swindon' - slot 24 ( one tag) to see if it is more powerful than 'Orbital, Swindon' ( 2 tags)

The image MHJDJE that was in slot 24/28 and was 10/10 for my own images has now leapfrogged to 1/28 and 1/10.

This has 'demoted' my other image - that had jumped from slot 10 to slot 1 after having two Supertags ( Orbital) + ( Swindon) to slot 4 ( diversity algorithm means it can't be in slot 2 or 3)

So having one supertag (Orbital Swindon) has jumped the image from last to first and is more powerful than having two Supertags ( Orbital) + ( Swindon).

one supertag (Orbital Swindon) is more powerful than having two Supertags ( Orbital) + ( Swindon).

Edited by geogphotos

Posted (edited)

This only moved it up from slot 7 to slot 6 

So, adding a Supertag moved it from slot 13 to slot 7, changing pseudo moved it up to slot 6. There is nothing else I can do, the images ahead of me are stronger for this one word search. Or is there anything else I can do?

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

The image MHJDJE that was in slot 24/28 and was 10/10 for my own images has now leapfrogged to 1/28 and 1/10.

This has 'demoted' my other image - that had jumped from slot 10 to slot 1 after having two Supertags ( Orbital) + ( Swindon) to slot 4 ( diversity algorithm means it can't be in slot 2 or 3)

So having one supertag (Orbital Swindon) has jumped the image from last to first and is more powerful than having two Supertags ( Orbital) + ( Swindon).

one supertag (Orbital Swindon) is more powerful than having two Supertags ( Orbital) + ( Swindon).

Interesting.

What is the result for Swindon Orbital without that being a supertag, but the rest staying the same?

wim

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Interesting.

What is the result for Swindon Orbital without that being a supertag, but the rest staying the same?

wim

(Orbital Swindon) is pushed down to slot 2. 

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

(Orbital Swindon) is pushed down to slot 2. 

But not down to 10/10 again. Wow.

wim

19 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

But not down to 10/10 again. Wow.

wim

No Wim, I am just observing the change in search position with the supertag ( Orbital Swindon) when the search is for 'Swindon Orbital'.

You can see for yourself.

12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

No Wim, I am just observing the change in search position with the supertag ( Orbital Swindon) when the search is for 'Swindon Orbital'.

You can see for yourself.

I was mainly interested in that 10/10.

Still an interesting result.

I would be interested in seeing results for a subject returning say 500 pages and especially in finding a way to move an image up the personal rank.

Without demoting the rest obviously, I would be satisfied if I could get my 10/10 to 1/10 or 2/10 without the whole ten sliding down below my 10th.

So far I have not found a way.

(Especially my frequent sellers have been demoted in last year's shuffles.)

wim

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Without demoting the rest obviously, I would be satisfied if I could get my 10/10 to 1/10 or 2/10 without the whole ten sliding down below my 10th.

wim

I'm quite happy to have my best 2 or 3/10 appearing high in a general search and the others to be lower down and available for more specific searches. Using/not using Supertags combined with different ranked Pseudos offers a way of achieving this.

Edited by geogphotos

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

I'm quite happy to have my best 2 or 3/10 appearing high in a general search and the others to be lower down and available for more specific searches. Using/not using Supertags combined with different ranked Pseudos offers a way of achieving this.

Yes clearly. I will try this route for some mages when I'm back at my desk.

With shifting images to lower/higher pseudos, I have been unlucky so far. But it has been a couple of months since I have last tried that.

New round new chances.

Thank you for explaining!

wim